Ups for 1600 watts for 2 hours

Only a NoOb

Can anyone tell me what power a ups i need to power 1600 watts for 2 hours?

What is this for? A business? Or around the house?

A UPS is designed to save/close material/backup, and properly shutdown. If I'm not mistaken a sustained 1600W for 2+ hours will cost you in the multiple thousands of dollars.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

For 2 sustained hours you’re looking at 15000VA or more which would set you back at least 20,000$. For 1600W, that’s a lot of power for 2 hours.

if you can live with less than that, a ups like this one: https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-Protector-BackUPS-BX1500M/dp/B06VY6FXMM/ref=asc_df_B06VY6FXMM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198138936631&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3419232278043312441&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9067609&hvtargid=pla-354035472172&psc=1

which would only be able to sustain 1600W for about 12 minutes, but costs 170$.

what is the use case and the budget?? I’m curious.

well guys, its a gaming setup with tv monitor and desktop stuff, budget is no issue and I live in Pakistan where, although the power situation is better now, we still sometimes get power cuts. In other words, if I get my hands on a 10000va ups its would last me 1-1.5 hours if i understand correctly yes?

5 minutes ago, Only a NoOb said:

well guys, its a gaming setup with tv monitor and desktop stuff, budget is no issue and I live in Pakistan where, although the power situation is better now, we still sometimes get power cuts. In other words, if I get my hands on a 10000va ups its would last me 1-1.5 hours if i understand correctly yes?

A 10000va ups at 1600W should last about an hour and 20 minutes

1 minute ago, Quadrum said:

A 10000va ups at 1600W should last about an hour and 20 minutes

Thankyou Quadrum.

And can you tell me how long a 6000va ups would last?

15 minutes ago, Only a NoOb said:

Thankyou Quadrum.

And can you tell me how long a 6000va ups would last?

Roughly 45 minutes. To be honest my calculations are kind of rough and could vary based on the manufacturer, so I would make sure to look at the product page of your ups to make sure it can sustain 1600W for the time you need it to.

VA rating is a measure of maximum power output, not battery size. The VA rating will not tell you how long the UPS will last.

A 1600 W load means it consumes 1600 Wh per hour. So for 2 hours you need 3200 Wh of capacity.

UPS systems typically don't list their battery capacity directly. But they usually give you a runtime which you can use to calculate capacity. For example a UPS may list "Runtime at 100 W: 1 h 30 min", which means the battery capacity is 100 W × 1.5 h = 150 Wh.

Good luck finding a 3200 Wh UPS. As stated previously, this would cost many thousands of dollars, since we are talking about battery sizes on the scale that would be used in hybrid electric vehicles, not home battery backups. You would need to look at industrial solutions and would probably need a forklift to install it. Some kind of Telsa powerwall or equivalent solution for your home would probably be the only viable consumer option for what you're asking.

However, it's unlikely your devices actually consumer 1600 W. That's an enormous amount for electronics, even a room full of them. It's likely you need far less power, and so need far less capacity to last 2 hours.

22 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

VA rating is a measure of maximum power output, not battery size. The VA rating will not tell you how long the UPS will last.

A 1600 W load means it consumes 1600 Wh per hour. So for 2 hours you need 3200 Wh of capacity.

UPS systems typically don't list their battery capacity directly. But they usually give you a runtime which you can use to calculate capacity. For example a UPS may list "Runtime at 100 W: 1 h 30 min", which means the battery capacity is 100 W × 1.5 h = 150 Wh.

Good luck finding a 3200 Wh UPS. As stated previously, this would cost many thousands of dollars, since we are talking about battery sizes on the scale that would be used in hybrid electric vehicles, not home battery backups. You would need to look at industrial solutions and would probably need a forklift to install it.

However, it's unlikely your devices actually consumer 1600 W. That's an enormous amount for electronics, even a room full of them. It's likely you need far less power, and so need far less capacity to last 2 hours.

Oh. Thankyou. This was really informative. It gives me the tools to decide what i need according to my requirements. 

2 minutes ago, Only a NoOb said:

Oh. Thankyou. This was really informative. It gives me the tools to decide what i need according to my requirements. 

I would recommend getting a power meter and measuring the power usage of your equipment to get an idea of what you actually need.

51 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I would recommend getting a power meter and measuring the power usage of your equipment to get an idea of what you actually need.

Hey Glenwing. I did some research and a ups with built in batteries might not work with what I want according to your info.

I was thinking on the lines of Solar panels with separate Inverter Ups and dry batteries. 

The main question is, do you think its safe? I mean what are the chances that it will fry components? 

If its safe then i can start researching the kind of solar setup that floats my boat. Theres alot of heat in my country so going solar is a very good option.

Just now, Only a NoOb said:

Hey Glenwing. I did some research and a ups with built in batteries might not work with what I want according to your info.

I was thinking on the lines of Solar panels with separate Inverter Ups and dry batteries. 

The main question is, do you think its safe? I mean what are the chances that it will fry components? 

If its safe then i can start researching the kind of solar setup that floats my boat. Theres alot of heat in my country so going solar is a very good option.

Solar panels with a home battery solution (like Tesla Powerwall or equivalent) would work.