Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DefinitelyTech

Use Dedicated AMD GPU w/ iGPU display

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So a while ago, Linus did a video on having a mining GTX 1060 card with no display outputs be used by applying the dGPU to the application so that each game would use the GTX 1060 while using the iGPU for display.

 

 

I know how this is done with NVIDIA cards through the video, but Im curious if this could be done for AMD GPUs. 
 

I currently have a RX 5700 that can be flashed to a 5700XT bios, but with that bios flash, it refuses to POST using the gpu display output. BUT when using the iGPU for display I get a post and everything reports correctly on GPU-Z. But I cannot figure out how to get each application/game/benchmark to use the dedicated GPU since NVIDIA Control is not available.
 

any help?


FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your card fails to give a display after flashing a vbios to it then it most likely is a wrong vbios. So your chances of having a working 5700XT are very low, and it is not fixed by using an igpu to pass through the dgpu output.

May I know the model of rx5700 you have and what vbios you have flashed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

If your card fails to give a display after flashing a vbios to it then it most likely is a wrong vbios. So your chances of having a working 5700XT are very low, and it is not fixed by using an igpu to pass through the dgpu output.

May I know the model of rx5700 you have and what vbios you have flashed?

It was an extreme long shot, but after seeing the results when using iGPU display output I had to at least test it..

 

Current GPU: Unfortunately it does not have a current Spec page on Powercolor but here is an article of release. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Powercolor-releases-Radeon-RX-5700-ITX-compact-GPU-but-only-in-Japan.448590.0.html
Model Number for 5700: AXRX 5700 ITX 8GND6-2DH

 

vBIOS Used: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212204/powercolor-rx5700xt-8192-190616

Model Number for 5700XT:  AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-3DH


FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DefinitelyTech said:

So a while ago, Linus did a video on having a mining GTX 1060 card with no display outputs be used by applying the dGPU to the application so that each game would use the GTX 1060 while using the iGPU for display.

 

 

I know how this is done with NVIDIA cards through the video, but Im curious if this could be done for AMD GPUs. 
 

I currently have a RX 5700 that can be flashed to a 5700XT bios, but with that bios flash, it refuses to POST using the gpu display output. BUT when using the iGPU for display I get a post and everything reports correctly on GPU-Z. But I cannot figure out how to get each application/game/benchmark to use the dedicated GPU since NVIDIA Control is not available.
 

any help?

If you can't run computing tasks on the GPU, then it's clearly not worked. Not all GPUs can just be VBIOS'ed to be the next tier, largely those days are gone and it's only a few that can do it, you'll get higher clocks and more power target, but no extra stream processors, if it works that is. Try running something like GPUpi on the card to see if it can complete computing tasks, or if the drivers install, however if it doesn't post, it probably isn't working right. 


Yours faithfully

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your problem might be related to the number of displayports the very cards have, 2DH vs 3DH. You may need to find a bios that matches the 2DH, which is 2x display-ports and 1x hdmi. There's none I know of.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Your problem might be related to the number of displayports the very cards have, 2DH vs 3DH. You may need to find a bios that matches the 2DH, which is 2x display-ports and 1x hdmi. There's none I know of.

 

Interesting find. I believe I did get the drivers updated but I’m not certain, I have since reverted to old bios to still have main driver. I will try to run GPUpi but the question remains on how do I make sure it runs of dGPU and not iGPU


FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

UPDATE: I tried again and was unable to get AMD settings to launch again to install drivers. Graphics settings did not recognize dGPU with new vBios but again GPU-Z did. I’m curious if I got a 3400G or equivalent so that it recognizes an AMD Graphics, I could force the drivers to be installed.. thoughts or am I still wasting time?


FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×