Dark Rock Pro 3 vs table grinder?

Hello there,

i have currently got my Pure Steel case and i am happy to be finally able to screw in everything into its own place. I had to grind in some recesses into the front HDD/SSD mounting plate for SATA psu connectors but the product page said something about modding and the build was actually pretty easy and done within 2 hours.

When i was done it struck me very hard: My Dark Rock Pro 3 is too tall and the glass planel does "sit" on it. I googled beforehand if it would fit and i read of people that easily fit it and also for me it is like only 1mm too much.
The Dark Rock Pro 3 has these black nops on the top. Do you think i can safely grind these off or are those part of a screw/heatpipe? I guess i could hide that by applying fresh black paint afterwards, i am more worried about functionality.

What do you think, good or bad idea?

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

Dremel would make quick work of it. Seems like a good idea based on what you've said. I would try to find a blue print or maybe patent on the cooler to try and deduce if the heat pipe extends into that piece or if its just there for purely cosmetic concerns. 

While I wouldn't recommend grinding those things off, you can remove the whole plate they are on by unscrewing the 4 screws in the corners, making the cooler lose a few mm of height without damaging it

Make sure you aren't destroying the heatpipes those nubs protect, or you'll ruin the cooler 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

Make sure you aren't destroying the heatpipes those nubs protect, or you'll ruin the cooler 

That is my primary concern, i tought maybe someone already did the exactly same thing. As the little brother i rather look on others mistakes before i make my own :)

3 hours ago, Medicate said:

While I wouldn't recommend grinding those things off, you can remove the whole plate they are on by unscrewing the 4 screws in the corners, making the cooler lose a few mm of height without damaging it

Will this also remove the little nobs? I think the "plate" is not the problem but those nobs sticking out, One of my heatpipes seems loose anyways so i can push its nob, i think they will stay exactly there when i pull off the plate.

I am rather undecided, i dont want to poker here so i maybe just also go with letting the side panel closed with only the lower screw and then get an 360mm aio next month, that would fit into the bottom.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

27 minutes ago, Bumbummen said:

Will this also remove the little nobs? I think the "plate" is not the problem but those nobs sticking out,

Yes those nobs are attached to the plate. Now they do cover up the actual heatpipes but without the plate with the nobs on it the cooler should be a few mm shorter.

spacer.png

This is the cooler without the plate and the nobs 

spacer.png
Do you see those nobs at the top above the middle fan? I think when those are gone you should have a few more mm to work with