Which of these 500GB SSD is the best pick?

i_build_nanosuits

As the title says, if you know anything about SSD...or where to check their respective performance, please enlighten me it's for my dad.

Best value for money?

image.thumb.png.268e008bfd8e7c88017a10557235f472.png

I was thinking SU650 since i got one and i find it pretty fast...?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Would recommend samsung or crucial.
It's not about speed, it's about endurance and reliability.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think given the option of that list, I'd go with the WD Blue.  I think it has a reputation or impression of being a cheap entry level, OEM drive, but last I checked I remember being impressed with the review and came away with the feeling that it's perfectly mid-tier at the least, and yet for budget prices.

Crucial MX500 is also worth looking at for sure, depending on the price.  I have two and find them to be decent despite the often noticeable discount vs samsung.  If it's a slight price increase (~10% or less), it's probably worth it.  If it's substantially more, the WD is still a decent option imo.

P.S. Important note for the WD: there's been two different versions and it's not always obvious whether you're dealing with the older one or the newer one.  I don't expect to see any of the old ones for sale anymore, but if looking at reviews it's something you may come across.

I'd go into depth with a proper review before buying, but just as a quick overview:

The WD Blue vs the MX500 that's $5 more:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-3D-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m337874vsm418385

The WD Blue vs the old version:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-3D-500GB-vs-WD-Blue-500GB/m337874vsm192687

The WD Blue vs the SU650 that's $10 less:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-3D-500GB-vs-Adata-SU650-480GB/m337874vsm434166

Afaik the ADATA doesn't have a DRAM cache which makes it considerably slower and will wear out faster.

WD Blue vs 850 Evo:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-3D-500GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-500GB/m337874vs3477

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'd pick WD Blue or the Crucial MX500. Others don't have DRAM cache which is quite important for performance and reliability.

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Would recommend samsung or crucial.
It's not about speed, it's about endurance and reliability.

Agreed but there are others too. WD, Corsair and such. Except Samsung and WD(for their controller) most of the other brands use a combination of parts such as the nand-flash and the controller from various third parties.

1 hour ago, MagnumOpus said:

Agreed but there are others too. WD, Corsair and such. Except Samsung and WD(for their controller) most of the other brands use a combination of parts such as the nand-flash and the controller from various third parties.

Yeah that's why I usually recommend samsung.

Even my old corsair SSD slowed down after a few years.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020