Project Index (AKA I Suck at Naming Rigs)

Bogus Tech Tips

I run a VR Club at my High School, and recently we've pursued the prospect of getting a second rig and HMD (as we currently use a system with a 7700K and 1070 paired with a Vive. Not terrible but certainly showing its age). Given that the Index is STILL out of stock worldwide, we got the parts for this second rig together.

So here's some images of the two test runs I've done thus far(as this will be put together during one of our upcoming club meetings). 

IMG_5270.thumb.JPG.e54ee4f75d02e4fd385ad53df1e98f64.JPGIMG_5239.thumb.JPG.fe5aaf776be94f8df81915dcff5362fe.JPGIMG_5309.thumb.JPG.f5e42f2b5f99d646bbb2617a832b0e0a.JPGIMG_5310.thumb.JPG.5716b5bfdd23bf13084cfe0faae8e9cc.JPG

It's my first time building a system but I've been watching LTT/GN/Bitwit/etc almost religiously for a little bit less than a decade at, so I doubt it'll be much of an issue putting together the whole thing.

Do let me know if you folks have any tips to point out (just remember that these images are from test runs, duh).

I hope that 7700K doesn't get put out of commission, still should be excellent for VR since those games don't leverage a bunch of cores/threads.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thou shalt not knock the 1070.

Seriously, that 7700K/1070 combo is still incredibly viable today, still borderline high-end even.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Thou shalt not knock the 1070.

Seriously, that 7700K/1070 combo is still incredibly viable today, still borderline high-end even.

Eh, the new system uses a 3600 and 5700 XT Combo for the sake of being able to push higher refresh rates (since the index has an optional 120/144Hz refresh rate, as well as using 1440p LCDs)

21 minutes ago, Bogus Tech Tips said:

Eh, the new system uses a 3600 and 5700 XT Combo for the sake of being able to push higher refresh rates (since the index has an optional 120/144Hz refresh rate, as well as using 1440p LCDs)

No, definitely upgrade, but find that 7700K and 1070 a loving home. They're way too capable to be called "not terrible". I'm planning on using my 8086K for at least another 5 years, and Navi/Turing wasn't enough of a jump for me to feel like giving up my 1070 was worth the price of admission.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

No, definitely upgrade, but find that 7700K and 1070 a loving home. They're way too capable to be called "not terrible". I'm planning on using my 8086K for at least another 5 years, and Navi/Turing wasn't enough of a jump for me to feel like giving up my 1070 was worth the price of admission.

This will be the new primary system for our club but we'll still use the original system to allow for more people to do VR at once.

EDIT: Should note that the 7700K is being cooled by a Corsair 120mm AIO so it runs pretty toasty ?