Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slider_aus

problems with memory

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

i recently got myself a 16gig 3200mhz corsair vengance rgb pro (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W) for my pc a ryzen 7 2700x on a B450 aurus pro motherboard, affter installing it seemed fine it ran XMP profile 1 straight away no problems booted into windows and i was able to play games and stream for a couple of days, then all of a sudden crash, crash, crash, crash, sometimes it will just crash a game to desktop, sometimes windows just BSOD, then either later that same day runs perfectly fine again for a day or 2, then back too crashing over and over a day later. i dont understand how it can be fine 1 day and not the next. i even tried manually entering the timings and clock speed and got the same issue. i really dont want to have to take the kit back if i really have to, as i have run memtest on the memory and it seems fine. also the BSOD crash codes are different every time, but whocrashhed always points to it being a hardware or memory problem.

i never had this problem with the 2400mhz giel memory i had before 

full bios reset wont clear up the issue either 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest bios on the motherboard? Did the ECFW update before flashing? Latest AMD chipset drivers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

i have never flashed the motherboard and im not sure if i have the latest chipset drivers

 

(i just pdated to the latest chipset drivers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, slider_aus said:

i have never flashed the motherboard and im not sure if i have the latest chipset drivers

 

(i just pdated to the latest chipset drivers)

 

46 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Latest bios on the motherboard? Did the ECFW update before flashing? Latest AMD chipset drivers?

Please quote people so they see your messages.


My (Soon To Be) Computer:

CPUIntel® i3-3220 3.3GHz 2c/4t  RAM: Kingston 6GB (4+2GB) 1333MHz   Mobo: Intel® DH61HO

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti Windforce OC 2GB   PSU: Cooler Master MWE 400 V1   Storage: Seagate Barracuda 320GB  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slider_aus said:

i have never flashed the motherboard and im not sure if i have the latest chipset drivers

 

(i just pdated to the latest chipset drivers)

Time to flash the latest bios (make sure to install the ECFW first, it's not under Bios but under Applications on the boards website).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Time to flash the latest bios (make sure to install the ECFW first, it's not under Bios but under Applications on the boards website).

what is ecfw?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slider_aus said:

what is ecfw?

EC stands for Embedded Controller https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_controller

FW is short for firmware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

 

Website of your board with drivers, software and so on:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slider_aus said:

ok i ran the software and it reset my pc

Ok, so it did flash the EC (ECFW). Now it's time to flash the bios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

Ok, so it did flash the EC (ECFW). Now it's time to flash the bios.

now i have never flashed a bios before do i start at the first bios and work my way up or can i just update to the latest?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slider_aus said:

now i have never flashed a bios before do i start at the first bios and work my way up or can i just update to the latest?

You can update to the latest if there aren't any other instructions on the site.

 

Seems you need to update to F32 first, then F40, if the one on the board is older than that. Only then you can update to the newer (F50 at this time).

If the board is F32 you can flash F40 then F50. if F40 or newer is already on the board, you can directly F50.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, 191x7 said:

You can update to the latest if there aren't any other instructions on the site.

 

Seems you need to update to F32 first, then F40, if the one on the board is older than that. Only then you can update to the newer (F50 at this time).

If the board is F32 you can flash F40 then F50. if F40 or newer is already on the board, you can directly F50.

 

im having trouble getting the qflash utility to detect my thumbdrive i exstracted the bios to the thumbdrive but it just wont pick it up in the utility yet i can see it apearing in the bois itself

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you still have the Geil memory?

Id be installing it before a bios flash. 

Last thing you need is a bad flash while you havent diagnosed and repaired the blue screen instability issue.


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / G.Skill 3600mhz B-Die / GTX 980 bmod / Antec 850w CP series

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / VGA any benching rig / Antec 1000w CP series

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slider_aus said:

im having trouble getting the qflash utility to detect my thumbdrive i exstracted the bios to the thumbdrive but it just wont pick it up in the utility yet i can see it apearing in the bois itself

The drive needs to be FAT32 and the Bios needs to be in the root od the drive.

 

But I'd recommend using @Bios to update from inside Windows. It also allows the update of the dual bios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Do you still have the Geil memory?

Id be installing it before a bios flash. 

Last thing you need is a bad flash while you havent diagnosed and repaired the blue screen instability issue.

i do still have it but i cant even get it to flash yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

The drive needs to be FAT32 and the Bios needs to be in the root od the drive.

 

But I'd recommend using @Bios to update from inside Windows. It also allows the update of the dual bios.

i dont understand how to update it wile in windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slider_aus said:

i do still have it but i cant even get it to flash yet

Why would you flash a bios with memory that could brick the board?

 

You update in the bios. Dont use the windows flash utility.

 

Put the good known working memory in first.

 


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / G.Skill 3600mhz B-Die / GTX 980 bmod / Antec 850w CP series

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / VGA any benching rig / Antec 1000w CP series

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slider_aus said:

i got to F32 will i need to run that ECFW tool again? or is it fine?

It's fine. Updating the BIOS does not owerwrite the EC. Just upgrade to F40 and then F50. Then retry the RAM XMP to see if it's stable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
53 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Why would you flash a bios with memory that could brick the board?

 

You update in the bios. Dont use the windows flash utility.

 

Put the good known working memory in first.

 

doont worry im uing the stable kit

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
51 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

It's fine. Updating the BIOS does not owerwrite the EC. Just upgrade to F40 and then F50. Then retry the RAM XMP to see if it's stable.

ok all updated. and i have the kit back into the system and the xmp profile enabled, guess ill play some games and see if it falls flat on its face

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×