Software setup for a NAS/Backup Server

Hey Guys.

I have had some data loss issues in the past, and am now setting up a home server from an old Ivy bridge PC.

The hardware part is no problem for me, but i am having trouble choosing the right software for my desired setup.

I included a little sketch for clarity but here is what I'm trying to accomplish, listed by priority:

1. I want to use the server as a secure location for our 2 PCs to back themselves up to. For that i will run two 1TB hard drives in RAID 1.

2. I want to use the server as a NAS for game-files and the so such. For that i will either just use an old 2TB disk or build a JBOD array with some more old hard drives.

3. Id like to set up a Plex server to be access by our TV. But this isn't super important to me, more of a bonus.

For the server itself I was gonna use FreeNAS, but I'd be willing to buy Unraid if you guys deem it better for my usecase.

What I really need help with is the backup software. I want the software to make backups of our 2 PCs on a regular basis (once or twice a week) and I want it to automatically delete old backups so that we always have 2 or 3 weeks of backups available. It should obviously be able to use NAS as its backup directory. I am ok with paying something upfront for the software but i don't prefer a subscription based solution.

If you need any further information, I will gladly provide it.

Thank you guys very much!

- Sandro

IMG_3076.jpg

ZFS(FreeNAS) to my knowledge does not support JBOD. You could create two vdevs and join them but if you lose either disk all the data is gone.

If you plan to do any virtualization at all I wouldn't recommend FreeNAS. It's hypervisor (Bhyve) is terrible.

FreeNAS does have a plug-in for PLEX.

Backup software. I would use RSYNC over SSH but its probably not the best option for Windows clients. I did write a guide on how you can make it work though:

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

ZFS(FreeNAS) to my knowledge does not support JBOD. You could create two vdevs and join them but if you lose either disk all the data is gone.

If you plan to do any virtualization at all I wouldn't recommend FreeNAS. It's hypervisor (Bhyve) is terrible.

FreeNAS does have a plug-in for PLEX.

Backup software. I would use RSYNC over SSH but its probably not the best option for Windows clients. I did write a guide on how you can make it work though:

Thank you for the quick reply! I am definitely looking for a user friendly software that specifically supports windows clients. More of a 'set and forget' type deal, if you're catching my drift. A non tech savvy person should be able to use it, preferably.

Thanks again.

-Sandro

9 minutes ago, Herr_Sandro said:

Thank you for the quick reply! I am definitely looking for a user friendly software that specifically supports windows clients. More of a 'set and forget' type deal, if you're catching my drift. A non tech savvy person should be able to use it, preferably.

Thanks again.

-Sandro

Yeah, I bring it up because the software is free. You can look into FreeFileSync but if you want to back data up over the network it's not the best solution. You'd have to run it over SMB with a Mapped Network Disk. It works but if for any reason there's a disconnect or you need to log back in to the share FreeFileSync will lose the ability to backup the data. Doing it over SSH would be better but I searched for automatic backup software that operates over SSH for Windows myself and only found solutions that cost money. That's where the RSYNC guide came from when I learned about WSL. Not very user friendly but it's free. It is however a set it and forget it solution just tell it what directories/sub-files/sub-folders to copy and leave it be.