Struggling with my first REAL PC....

Okay, so I haven't ever truly gamed on PC, I know I know I'm a noobie, I've been console gaming for so long, and I'm not very handy, I finally have a job I can spend money to do stuff like build a computer that's great (willing to spend up to a maximum of $800, possibly $1000), and  linus/LTT really helps me find parts to do so via videos and posts, BUT like I said I'm not a handyman, I know NOTHING about building computers or any of the special terms and whatnot, I've read and watched stuff about it over and over and never understand, I want to PC game but I dont have what it takes to build one. With that, I always consider just going to bestbuy and tossing my money at something and hope, but I dont want to waste money and get ripped off. So I'm at a crossroads, I want to PC game, but I cant build a PC and I dont understand all the fancy stuff involved, but I don't exactly trust buying prebuilt PCs. Help....?

Welcome to the forums!

There's really only one way to learn easily and that's by hands on. I think most people here got into it that way.

We're all here to help you if you need it, so don't be afraid to ask!

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

16 minutes ago, Alexander v.Beta said:

I know NOTHING about building computers

then the first computer you build or rebuild should be a free computer

i can't stress the importance to people enough that playing around with and building and fixing free junk computers is such good practice and costs nothing. 

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Welcome to the forums!

There's really only one way to learn easily and that's by hands on. I think most people here got into it that way.

We're all here to help you if you need it, so don't be afraid to ask!

Would it be a bad idea if I spent quite a bit on parts for a PC that could add up to my budget and try building one based off of tutorials and such? IF it's not such a bad idea is there any real tips or recommendations for executing said idea of purchasing parts and building? Like any specific part types anything I should learn before hand? (Also I'm so sorry I'm so questioning and unsure, I just dont want to make a dire mistakes.) Is it bad if I go to build a PC without knowing each and every little term and full title for parts? Like the really long names for specific graphics cards and such? Also THANK you so much for responding to this post!

42 minutes ago, Alexander v.Beta said:

Would it be a bad idea if I spent quite a bit on parts for a PC that could add up to my budget and try building one based off of tutorials and such?

no a lot of people do that

just dont want to make a dire mistakes

again , work on and play with old free computers where mistakes don't matter

Is it bad if I go to build a PC without knowing each and every little term and full title for parts?

You don't have to know everything , but knowing a part number is important because it's literally the only thing you check to make sure it's compatible with another part. First you check the part number then it's specs against what it's compatible with.

You also need to know what the part actually is and how it performs so you don't make a mistake and buy a HD 5770 thinking it's better than a 5700 XT.

If building a machine just sounds like too much work or too big a headache for you then the forum can just help you find a prebuilt as well. Plenty of pc enthusiasts want to game on a pc but just don't want to build one. pretty common. So just ask for a decent price prebuilt.

I have never built a PC before but I plan to, and the reason I have no anxiety from doing so is due to the sheer volume of videos I have watched regarding help for first time builders. Hours upon hours of 'research'. A year ago I wouldn't be comfortable to do so, but a lot of watching really helps your confidence (coming from a guy who never built one, I know lol, but it's really the way I feel). The way I look at it, as long as you don't damage your components and follow basic prep protocol that will help you in not damaging them, even if you get stuck, worst case scenario is you take your components to your local PC shop and ask them to make it for you. This is what I plan to do if it gets too intimidating for me. Wouldn't be ashamed to even ask the person to build it with me so I can better learn, I'd be paying them after all.

Bottom line, don't be intimidated. There's no reason to really, if you have done proper research and have prepared yourself. Watch a lot of videos, and I do mean A LOT, and take your time when the time comes to build it!

1 hour ago, emosun said:

no a lot of people do that

again , work on and play with old free computers where mistakes don't matter

You don't have to know everything , but knowing a part number is important because it's literally the only thing you check to make sure it's compatible with another part. First you check the part number then it's specs against what it's compatible with.

You also need to know what the part actually is and how it performs so you don't make a mistake and buy a HD 5770 thinking it's better than a 5700 XT.

If building a machine just sounds like too much work or too big a headache for you then the forum can just help you find a prebuilt as well. Plenty of pc enthusiasts want to game on a pc but just don't want to build one. pretty common. So just ask for a decent price prebuilt.

Could you possible assist me in finding build parts and such that are compatible and are under my budget that are capable of handling a decent amount of games and run great? I'm sorry for asking a lot and being a nuisance about this topic. One other thing is for a while I've wanted to learn to build a computer and the reason I think building would be better off is so i can understand my system and upgrade it as i move forward with it. Thank you for your time with this, honestly. Its helping a lot.

Cpu - ryzen has been in the past few years the king of budget gaming and cost/performance. The 2600, while last gen, has 6 cores and 12 threads, boosts to almost 4GHz and has an integrated cooler that's actually decent.

Motherboard - the b450 series makes most sense for this cpu, and msi have the best quality b450 boards. I chose a microatx board, as it's smaller and fits in a smaller case, since you're used to consoles. 3000 ryzen series are compatible with this board and it's rumoured the not yet released 4000 series is compatible too, so this platform is very upgradeable.

Ram - ryzen thrives on fast ram, so at least 3000MHz is recommended. Also it's important to run it in dual channel, so you need 2 sticks to do this, that's why I chose a 2x8gb kit. 16gb in total is enough for a gaming machine and you still have 2 empty slots on the motherboard should you wish to upgrade.

Storage - standard 500gb ssd, depending on your needs you can add another one later on, or spend a bit more on 1tb now

Gpu - the most important part of your gaming rig, the 5700xt is the king of cost/frame and can push 144fps at 1440p in esports titles.

Case - chose a smaller case with side window and mesh front. Should you want to pick another one based on aesthetics, just look for another one with a mesh front, as this is important for ventilation.

Psu - corsair cx series is reliable and 550w are more than enough for this pc.

You didn't mention whether you have a monitor already. If you don't i recommend a 27in 1440p 144hz ips or va monitor that supports freesync.

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Cpu - ryzen has been in the past few years the king of budget gaming and cost/performance. The 2600, while last gen, has 6 cores and 12 threads, boosts to almost 4GHz and has an integrated cooler that's actually decent.

Motherboard - the b450 series makes most sense for this cpu, and msi have the best quality b450 boards. I chose a microatx board, as it's smaller and fits in a smaller case, since you're used to consoles. 3000 ryzen series are compatible with this board and it's rumoured the not yet released 4000 series is compatible too, so this platform is very upgradeable.

Ram - ryzen thrives on fast ram, so at least 3000MHz is recommended. Also it's important to run it in dual channel, so you need 2 sticks to do this, that's why I chose a 2x8gb kit. 16gb in total is enough for a gaming machine and you still have 2 empty slots on the motherboard should you wish to upgrade.

Storage - standard 500gb ssd, depending on your needs you can add another one later on, or spend a bit more on 1tb now

Gpu - the most important part of your gaming rig, the 5700xt is the king of cost/frame and can push 144fps at 1440p in esports titles.

Case - chose a smaller case with side window and mesh front. Should you want to pick another one based on aesthetics, just look for another one with a mesh front, as this is important for ventilation.

Psu - corsair cx series is reliable and 550w are more than enough for this pc.

You didn't mention whether you have a monitor already. If you don't i recommend a 27in 1440p 144hz ips or va monitor that supports freesync.

Oh thank you! Also you mention a 1tb as an alternative for more cost, I am willing to toss a little more into a rig, is there any other parts that could be bumped up one for just a little more cost? And thank you for the monitor recommendation, I dont currently have one so thank you for that!

Just now, Alexander v.Beta said:

Oh thank you! Also you mention a 1tb as an alternative for more cost, I am willing to toss a little more into a rig, is there any other parts that could be bumped up one for just a little more cost? And thank you for the monitor recommendation, I dont currently have one so thank you for that!

you could go for the ryzen 5 3600, it's about 20% faster and should cost about $70 more

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

you could go for the ryzen 5 3600, it's about 20% faster and should cost about $70 more

Thank you for all of this, I think with this I will order these parts soon and start my first rig! Thank you very much! Last thing, any other things I should know before jumping into this?

2 minutes ago, Alexander v.Beta said:

Last thing, any other things I should know before jumping into this?

yeah , you should know how to build a computer.....

1 minute ago, emosun said:

yeah , you should know how to build a computer.....

I know that part, I'm giving more than a week before ordering parts to keep looking at building, I meant part wise, any tips for upgrading or what not in information before building.

7 minutes ago, Alexander v.Beta said:

Thank you for all of this, I think with this I will order these parts soon and start my first rig! Thank you very much! Last thing, any other things I should know before jumping into this?

the build i made is pretty good and everything should be compatible. make sure to install the ram in slots 2 and 4. read the motherboard manual and use it as a instructions on how to build. you can also buy some case fans - arctic p12 pwm pst value pack (5 fans pack) are cheap and good- 

There you go mate...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Silent ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $917.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-13 06:35 EST-0500

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

23 hours ago, boggy77 said:

the build i made is pretty good and everything should be compatible. make sure to install the ram in slots 2 and 4. read the motherboard manual and use it as a instructions on how to build. you can also buy some case fans - arctic p12 pwm pst value pack (5 fans pack) are cheap and good- 

By any chance, do you have any recommendations for CPU coolers?

• 3 weeks later...

What wireless adapter should I use for the computer? Cause I have it built I but eont have a wireless adapter