Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
takithes

PS2 to a new TV

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a PHILIPS 49PUS8303/12 TV and i wanna connect my old PS2 to it, the issues is that the TV only has ypbpr port ( a 3,5 mm port ), no AV/Scart, and a few HDMI ports,

I have 2 " adapters ", first one is just Red/Green/Blue that combines to a 3,5mm jack, and the second one is the same, but with Yellow/Red/White.

I can get output from the PS2 by using its own cables which are Yellow/Red/White and connecting the Yellow one with the aforementioned R/G/B adapter, spesifically to the Green one and plugging that in to the ypbpr, but the output is black/white and there is no sound, and plugging the other cables to the left off G/B doesnt do anything.

I also tried the other adapter with no output at all, which im guessing has to do that it just doesnt work in the ypbpr port.

Also, if its not possible to use with the cables i have, should i just try and buy a PS2 component cable with the 2 REDs /Green and blue ports and plug that with the other adapter that i have?

So, what should i do in order to get output with colors and some audio, would love to play some of those old games?

ALSO, if this post is not in the correct "subformus/forum" please guide to the right one!

Here's something I found, I hope it helps. It's a $16 adapter found on Amazon.

Connecting a PS2 to an HDMI TV.

Working link to the adapter on Amazon.

CPU - i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz  GPU - MSI GTX 1660 Ti Gamer X 6G  Motherboard - Dell Model 0PXWHK (Z370 chipset)  RAM - 2 x 8gb Corsair RGB Pro @ 3000MHz  Case - Dell Inspiron Gaming  Storage - SK Hynix 250gb M.2  PSU - 450W  Display - Samsung 27" Curved @ 1080p 60hz  Keyboard - AW768  Mouse - Logitech G502  Sound - Set of behringer Ms16 Monitor's  OS - Windows 10 Home

Use the Composite adapter (the yellow, red and white one) to connect your PS2 to the TV. There should be a separate port that isn't the Component (the YPbPr adapter) input that allows you to plug in that Composite adapter into your TV if it came with one. That being said, it definitely wouldn't hurt investing into some Component cables.

I use these cheap component cables from Gamestop that have connections for PS3, 360, and Wii. Note the PS3 and PS2 component cables use the same connector, so you can use them on your PS2. It looks just as good on my real PS2 over these component cables as it does playing PS2 Classics on my PS3 over HDMI.

https://www.gamestop.com/electronics/accessories/cables-interconnects/products/universal-component-cable/10136263.html

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

I think you can buy online ps2 ypbpr cables, a few months ago I went on search for a S-video one and there were also ypbpr cables.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise red as the dawn" - Scarlet Guard motto (Red Queen Series)

I use the ps2hdmi adapter with great results. 

I will throw this out there though backwards compatible ps3s are getting easier to find and do a much better job.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

I use the ps2hdmi adapter with great results. 

I will throw this out there though backwards compatible ps3s are getting easier to find and do a much better job.

I don't know man, it's only the first gen CECHA and CECHB PS3 that have BC, and those are often ticking timebombs with respect to the YLOD. Plus I think they were only ever released in Japan, the US, and Canada. In 2020 I think a fat PS2 + a FreeMcBoot memory card + hard drive is the way to go for PS2 gaming. Especially since the lasers in the DVD drives seem to die out so easily.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

You can jailbreak any ps3 now so you can use any really.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer / CPU: Intel 4690k (4.6Ghz) / Graphics Card: GTX970 SLi / RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB / PSU: Corsair RM650 / SSD: OCZ 250GB / HDD: 2X WD Blue 1TB

10 hours ago, holdin09 said:

You can jailbreak any ps3 now so you can use any really.

true, but it depends on how much you want to spend, I would rather pay for ps2 component cables, since the person has ypbpr port.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:09 PM, takithes said:

I have a PHILIPS 49PUS8303/12 TV and i wanna connect my old PS2 to it, the issues is that the TV only has ypbpr port

And get a FMCB card to hack the ps2, now, if it's a fat ps2 a hard drive for the expansion bay would be ideal, but you can use a old pen drive laying around to play like I did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise red as the dawn" - Scarlet Guard motto (Red Queen Series)

On 12/28/2019 at 12:07 AM, WaferCone said:

Here's something I found, I hope it helps. It's a $16 adapter found on Amazon.

Connecting a PS2 to an HDMI TV.

Working link to the adapter on Amazon.

yeah, i used the same adapter with my ps3 after it's hdmi port broke. It's job does the job very well and i had no real issue expect initially when i didn't know the usb cable that came with it need to be plugged in to provide power as it's an active adapter

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.