Cheap UK PC Build

Haztec

What do you think of a used eBay build using an i5 4690k and an rx 480. With 8GB of RAM, and some cheap 35 pound case, power supply and motherboard, it comes to a total of about £320. Would this be a good idea?

If you're going to get a cheap motherboard you might as well get a non-K i5 since you probably won't be overclocking.

Buying a cheap PSU is a very bad idea, you should allocate at least $50 (and check the PSU tier list).

A cpu like that with a GPU like that will still do fine at 1080p, so as long as you don't skimp on the PSU you should be fine :).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I understand your concerns but £40 is about equal to 50 dollars and I'll make sure to get a good brand like a corsair, with a bronze rating. I might try to find a motherboard bundle to get it ultimately cheaper.

8gb DDR4, a cheap B450 board, and a used ryzen 3 1200 comes in a touch more expensive but offers quite the upgrade path.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Is a first gen ryzen 3 not going to pose a bigger bottleneck than the i5. I5 always allows an i7 4th gen and I think the only option of upgrade is a first or second gen, but then it would be much more powerful if I was to get a ryzen 7 from that ryzen 3. That's a good suggestion for that.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLLcx6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£46.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£52.90 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£38.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£46.28 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£42.53 @ More Computers) 
Total: £226.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 18:59 GMT+0000

Couple it with a second had GPU and storage which I presumed you already have since you didn't mention it in your post. Better upgrade path, decent power supply. Only thing I didn't do was check the QVL of the motherboard to see whether this RAM has been tested, but there are plenty of kits like this for about the same price.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I think that the Ryzen 3 would be too much of a bottleneck. But it does have a great upgrade path. I might save like 10 on the motherboard and I was thinking of an RX 480.