What is better? High latency high frequency ram? or low latency lower frequency RAM?

I was looking to order a kit of 4000mhz DDR4 RAM but decided I better inquire here after I saw the CAS latency of 19. 

4 minutes ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

I was looking to order a kit of 4000mhz DDR4 RAM but decided I better inquire here after I saw the CAS latency of 19. 

What CPU platform?

No one really needs that crazy 4000mhz+ RAM, you want high frequency with low latency, otherwise they just cancel each other out.

If you're going with Ryzen 3000, just get some cheap 3600mhz CL16 kit at most. 3200mhz CL16 is fine otherwise.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

STRX40

If you're trying to just get the absolute most performance, and you don't have a budget cap, probably want to go after around an actual overclocking forum, otherwise like I said 3600mhz CL16 should be plenty, in quad channel naturally for that platform. If you use more than 4 sticks your ability to OC the RAM will be more limited, and you'll want to double check the exact sticks you end up with.

I assume you're getting at least 64GBs of RAM?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I assume you're getting at least 64GBs of RAM?

At least. I have a lot of budget and I am hoping to fill up all eight RAM slots. In the end, I am more constrained by PSU wattage than anything else.  

5 hours ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

At least. I have a lot of budget and I am hoping to fill up all eight RAM slots. In the end, I am more constrained by PSU wattage than anything else.  

What GPUs are going into the system? You can just get an 011 dynamic XL for a dual PSU system, or if it's a server case they make like 2000W server PSUs.

IF you're going for 8 sticks why not go for EPYC? Assuming memory is important. Just costs some clock speed.

With 8 sticks 3200mhz is probably more typical I'd imagine.

Spoiler