Broken Graphics Card

Trinityy

Hi there.

My computer started having some issues the other day. It would freeze on the login page for Windows. I started by trying to use a different drive to load Windows and got a blue screen of death with a whea uncontrollable error. I never actually got into Windows with that drive.

So, after that I started to test each part until I found that the graphics card seems to be the problem. If it's plugged in, I freeze on the Windows login screen or sometimes I'll get into Windows for about 5 seconds before the freeze.

Computer works perfectly fine without the graphics card.

I wanted to try and see if drivers could help, but I can't seem to install them without having the card in the system.

Is there a method I can try to do this (or something else I should try).

Or is it time to send the card back in (under warranty still)?

Thanks for any help, and sorry if this is super obvious or anything. I hope I followed rules :)

I’m assuming intel because it sounds like you got an iGPU. Correct?  What is this new card causing problems?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m assuming intel because it sounds like you got an iGPU. Correct?  What is this new card causing problems?

Oops, sorry I guess I left that out.

It's a 1060 3gb.

The integrated card works fine. So if I take the 1060 out, the system works fine, but without it in, the Nvidia installer isn't letting me install any drivers.