Debating between oculus quest and rift s

Joshmakey12

I am going to be buying a pc in a few weeks 

and i can’t decide between the quest and rift s 

i could buy the quest and be able to play and use link with pc 

but I’m worried that the quality is not good as rift s which should I go for?

The Rift S has a slightly higher-resolution screen than the original Rift, at 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye instead of 1200 x 1080. But that’s still not as high as the Oculus Quest, and the screen refresh rate has actually been downgraded. Refresh rates help determine image quality and comfort in VR — if they get too low, they can increase motion sickness. Most VR headsets, including the old Rift, have aimed at a minimum of 90Hz. The Rift S only refreshes at a rate of 80Hz.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/30/18523941/oculus-rift-s-review-vr-headset-price-specs-features

Depends of the usage case, i am going for the HP reverb since i only play driving sim..

the Reverbs resolution is just way better, but it has worse motion than these 2... my only issue is the software IDP, since i do think i am in the upper limit of this since i am a 67 

16 hours ago, Joshmakey12 said:

I am going to be buying a pc in a few weeks 

and i can’t decide between the quest and rift s 

i could buy the quest and be able to play and use link with pc 

but I’m worried that the quality is not good as rift s which should I go for?

None of the above. If you're not buying a $2000 PC rig, VR is going to suck, but it's going to suck anyway. The current best kit that uses a PC is the Vive Pro Eye since it has eye tracking and is 90hz, but uses the SteamVR tech, also it's $1600. Vive Cosmos is $700 and is self-contained like the Occulus Quest. Occulus quest only has a 72hz refresh rate, and is entirely integrated (no PC used), so that's going to make you sick. Rift S is 80hz and both Occulus devices are $400.

My opinion is that VR tech is still half baked and still too rubbish to be used and all these low-refresh displays are just reflective how much money is being burned to try and get these to market and the market is so far turning it's nose up at it, even harder than "3D displays" with polarizing glasses.

Unless you have your heart set on playing the new Halflife game, there really is nothing out there that justifies a VR HMD, as a lot of what is out there is really just a conventional 3D FPS type of game that has been adapted to use the HMD, the games don't really make use of the HMD as anything other than a screen.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Occulus quest only has a 72hz refresh rate, and is entirely integrated (no PC used), so that's going to make you sick

I've used my Quest dozens of hours and the refresh rate has never been noticeable. 

Quest is standalone AND PC now, works great with PC. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

How important is being able to play standalone games on the mobile chipset to you?

If you think you're going to get enough standalone use out of it, go with a Quest and a link cable.

If you're going to be playing almost entirely tethered to the PC you might as well go Rift S instead.

Their will be a slight image quality loss do to compression on the quest/link setup but it doesn't look too bad

I haven't been able to notice any compression artifacts or lag with oculus link. Surprisingly good.

One thing I find myself using my Quest for pretty often is just watch youtube/floatplane videos in bed. Even that would justify getting a standalone-capable device IMO, even if not gaming (which I do as well of course).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I've used my Quest dozens of hours and the refresh rate has never been noticeable. 

Quest is standalone AND PC now, works great with PC. 

You are not everybody. The lower the refresh rate, the more people susceptible to motion sickness will have it triggered. That's all that means. It's an utter crapshoot if a HMD will make you sick and thus one is better buying the one with the higher refresh rate if it's possible.

The problem really, is that a VR HMD can not be made cheap enough for mass market appeal, and anything made cheap enough for mass market appeal would make the mass market sick and completely obliterate the market for another 20 years, so it's in the best interests of those producing the VR HMD's to not produce garbage and if that means they need to cost $1000 until 144hz screens get that small, so be it.

To be fair so far I've only read techy people going all crazy about how the refresh rate is unacceptable, but no regular people complaining about it... so IMO it's a totally overblown non-issue.

The Quest IS Oculus' take at mass market VR, just see how the software library has blown up in 6 months. They aren't stupid, you can be sure they have made their research and solidly concluded that 72Hz was OK for the vast majority of people before committing to it.

F@H

GPD Win 2