AMD Wraith Stealth fan not working

Continentaldr1ft

I'm trying to figure out the most likely causes for my cooler fan not working. The computer is a new build. It boots well and I assumed at first that the fan only came on if under load. I downloaded some games and was testing it out when I noticed it slowed down tremendously after a few minutes. Task Manager showed the CPU throttled down to 0.54ghz and I noticed the fan was still not spinning.

I have the cooler plugged into the motherboard's CPU Fan 3 pin. If it matters, I'm only using the 8 pin power for my CPU, it looks like it also allows an extra 4 pin, but I thought that was for overclocking. I have 3 Corsair LL120 fans all plugged in to other fan headers and working fine.

I'm at work right now and trying to figure out what the best course of action is when I head home. Does any fan work when plugged into the CPU fan header? Can I test it with one of my case fans to see if it will operate? Any other suggestions to trouble shoot?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth

Mobo: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC B450

34 minutes ago, Continentaldr1ft said:

I'm trying to figure out the most likely causes for my cooler fan not working. The computer is a new build. It boots well and I assumed at first that the fan only came on if under load. I downloaded some games and was testing it out when I noticed it slowed down tremendously after a few minutes. Task Manager showed the CPU throttled down to 0.54ghz and I noticed the fan was still not spinning.

I have the cooler plugged into the motherboard's CPU Fan 3 pin. If it matters, I'm only using the 8 pin power for my CPU, it looks like it also allows an extra 4 pin, but I thought that was for overclocking. I have 3 Corsair LL120 fans all plugged in to other fan headers and working fine.

I'm at work right now and trying to figure out what the best course of action is when I head home. Does any fan work when plugged into the CPU fan header? Can I test it with one of my case fans to see if it will operate? Any other suggestions to trouble shoot?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth

Mobo: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC B450

Any 3 pin fan should work.  It won’t cool the cpu very well but it would spin at the rpm the mobo told it to based on cpu fan curve.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ok, so it's not the motherboard because a different fan works plugged in to the CPU fan header. I guess I have to RMA the CPU, ugh.