Case Fan issue - not being detected / not working

BorisL

Hey guys.. my first post here :)

I'm having a little issue here..
Today I bought a fan, didn't think too much about it even though I should've, but yeah, it was like 4$ so who cares.
It's a brand called "Gembird".
It's a 90mm / 9cm fan and it has a 3-pin connector, and I thought that wouldn't be a problem. But oh boy was I wrong.

My MOBO is ASUS PRIME A320M-K, and per ASUS's official website, this mobo does support both 3 and 4 pin air coolers, with or without PWM.

Things I've tried:
Tried it on the fan header, doesn't give any signs of life. Tried switching PWM on or off, didn't do anything either.
Disconnected my (fully functioning, healthy) CPU fan (4 pin, PWM on), and connected it to the fan header, doesn't give any signs of life either.
The pins are not bent, and the whole machine will be cleaned in a few days.
Looking for any mobo specific solutions online, didn't find much if anything.

I've got no idea what else to try, and I don't wanna go and buy another 4-pin air cooler (thinking logically if my CPU fan didn't work on it, and it's a 4 pin, why would any other fan work)

Please help, any suggestions are welcome.

I attached a pic of the header, just as reassurance.

Thank youu!

fanheader.jpg

First off if it's 3 pin it's not PWM so you should turn off any PWM options.

Next off if it's voltage and you don't set the voltage high enough it wont start.

Start there and see how you go.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Can you get pic from fan side of connector? And since the fan is one not working, that would be the first thing to blame. If you can't get it working on know header, or directly off PSU, then that fan is dead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'll try turning off PWM, but how do I change fan voltage? @keskparane
Maybe it's under some abbreviation that I don't know about..

I got the newly purchased fan to work on the CPU fan spot, but it works at 100% ('round 2400RPM) and I couldn't control it

Attached the pic below @LogicalDrm

78471042_477424009551658_8795664886983032832_n.jpg

35 minutes ago, BorisL said:

I'll try turning off PWM, but how do I change fan voltage? @keskparane
Maybe it's under some abbreviation that I don't know about..

I got the newly purchased fan to work on the CPU fan spot, but it works at 100% ('round 2400RPM) and I couldn't control it

Attached the pic below @LogicalDrm

Ok, so wiring is not problem. For controls header needs to be at DC/Voltage control and then you adjust fan curve to drop speed of it. Most premade profiles won't work as those are usually made for PWM fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ok, so wiring is not problem. For controls header needs to be at DC/Voltage control and then you adjust fan curve to drop speed of it. Most premade profiles won't work as those are usually made for PWM fans.

I connected the fan to the header, and inside BIOS, there's only "PWM" and "Disabled" from the dropdowns, I can share a picture later if needed.
In my bios, it seems the only way to control the fans is through something called "QFan control" and there seems to be no place to change the voltage.. 

6 minutes ago, BorisL said:

I connected the fan to the header, and inside BIOS, there's only "PWM" and "Disabled" from the dropdowns, I can share a picture later if needed.
In my bios, it seems the only way to control the fans is through something called "QFan control" and there seems to be no place to change the voltage.. 

QFan is the name of controller. If those are the options, then mobo doesn't support voltage control.

At that point options are

• Get PWM fan instead
  • Try with SpeedFan (but if there isn't Auto option, might not work)
  • get hardware controller

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Tried SpeedFan, no success.
Hardware Controller looks okay but I feel like it'd be too much atm since I only need one fan. Maybe when I get a bigger case and better hardware in the future I'll get that.

Ordered a PWM 4-pin fan, it should arrive Monday and I'll post any updates.