Asus Anti-Surge shutdowns - GPU problem?

jaime3

Hi all,

I've been having a problem for a week or so now thats very strange and hard to pin down. When playing world of warcraft, intermittently, my PC will just POST and give me the Asus Anti-Surge message. This is extremely intermittent and hard to reproduce and occurs at well safe temperatures, ~40 for CPU, ~65 for GPU. I monitored these using Afterburner and HWMonitor, etc. It does not occur while playing any other game either, although I only really play League of Legends otherwise. As far as I can tell the voltages are fine, 3.3, 5 and 12 all being within the +0.5 range I've read about online. I also installed a new PSU shortly after this started as I assumed that was the cause but it did not help at all. I have also flashed my BIOS to the latest version and re-installed and rolled back my GPU drivers.

Twice in the past week a slightly similar problem occurred when I had no game open and was just browsing with chrome. The screens just went black but the computer was completely fine otherwise, sound/input fine (from chrome back noises) and came back a few seconds later. Very similar to what happens when you are updating your graphics drivers.

Currently stumped and thinking my gpu may just be dying? Unsure where to go from here. I wouldn't mind updating my GPU necessarily but don't want to just spend money if something else was the problem.

Parts list:

CPU : i7-6700k @4GHZ

Mobo: Z170-A

GPU: 980TI

RAM: 32GB

PSU: TX650M

Thanks for reading :)

PSU problem, what year Corsair TX650M is that ?

Edit: i see, you've installed a new one too, so it's the same with both of them ? What model is that new PSU ? See, 980Ti is pretty power hungry GPU, not all PSUs are capable to work with it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Okay, can you try it in a different PC or with different motherboard at least ?

Edit: GPU i mean.

Sadly I don't have a mobo lying around and I would need a full PC to properly try to reproduce as I need to leave it running wow for a few hours, wish I could rule that out completely though.

What model is that GPU anyway ? Maybe it's still under warranty. (Quote when you'll answer)

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

What model is that GPU anyway ? Maybe it's still under warranty. (Quote when you'll answer)

Sorry didn't realise about the quotes - it's an EVGA standard 980Ti I believe, unfortunately it just went out of warranty at the start of this year... bad timing just after black friday too if I would need to get something new aswell. It does seem to be more frequent if I play with higher graphics settings which makes me think it's a performance related problem, but temperatures are fine when the crashes happen.

Well ... i advice you to contact EVGA support anyway, maybe they'll work smth out. But they'll probably ask to check it in another PC too.

Yeah, they weren't any help unfortunately. In the event viewer I've got a lot of kernel power (event id 41) records with slightly varying details, such as

BugcheckCode 0 
  BugcheckParameter1 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter2 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter3 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter4 0x0 
  SleepInProgress 0 
  PowerButtonTimestamp 0 
  BootAppStatus 0 
  Checkpoint 0 
  ConnectedStandbyInProgress false 
  SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0 
  CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0