Fan RGB not working

eysikeyy

Hi, I am new of having a PC and I just bought an air cooling fan (https://shopee.ph/COOLMOON-Computer-Case-PC-Cooling-Fan-RGB-Adjust-LED-120mm-Quiet-IR-Remote-For-cpu(6pcs)-i.129872306.2036323508) I inserted the fans to the hub and then the hub to the power supply but the fans spins but the light/rgb doesn't light up correctly and I can't control the fan speed. Now, I am planning to insert the hub into my motherboard, B450 Aorus M (https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=796) into the ARGB 12v pins and the fans specifically stated that the voltage is 12v. Will there be any problem if I do this? I don't want to risk breaking my motherboard. Thanks!

TLDNR: there’s all kinds of scary regarding this one.  Can you return them and get your money back?

I’m not the most or even more knowledgeable person to reply, but I didn’t see anyone else doing it so I’ll give it a shot anyway.  I got distracted in the middle of this so it may come off extremely stilted in which case just ignore it.

You've got a no-name product so there isn’t a lot on the internet.  I found this video from the manufacturer apparently in Bangladesh.

which shows that the fan is apparently six pin?

never seen six pin.  They may be proprietary and therefore unreplacable.  The power connector is a more standard 4 pin that apparently goes to molex?! I have a bad feeling about this.

I looked at the link.  The PSU is straight power so any control would have to come from that remote.  I can’t get a good look at the remote either.   There appears to be only the one connector.  My understanding is that with normal rgb fans, rgb and fan power come on different leads.  There’s only one here though.

I don’t know enough about rgb or that connector to tell you whether or not the hub should have been inserted into the motherboard rather than the PSU though.  There are two connectors opposite the power connector that were unmarked.  Possibly for more fans.  How are you going to “insert the hub into my motherboard”. Did you pull the cable out of the PSU and are planning on now inserting it into the main board with a 4 pin cable? I don’t know enough about the connectors involved or the innards of that hub. It could theoretically be bad.  The impression I get is this thing doesn’t connect to the motherboard at all. In the video it seems to run separately of even a computer.  If it didn’t work correctly to start it could be DOA.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

DO NOT CONNECT THEM TO ARGB HEADER!!!

That will 100% damage either one or both.

Looking at pictures, those fans use propitiatory connectors and only work with that included hub. You can only control them with that included remote. Thats both colors and fan speed. If remote isn't working, check batteries first, then proceed to return that whole set.

ARGB is 3pin connector. its not compatible with 4pin RGB headers or any other headers that aren't specifically marked to be digital or ARGB. Furthermore if fans don't say that they are compatible with motherboard, then they aren't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

DO NOT CONNECT THEM TO ARGB HEADER!!!

That will 100% damage either one or both.

Looking at pictures, those fans use propitiatory connectors and only work with that included hub. You can only control them with that included remote. Thats both colors and fan speed. If remote isn't working, check batteries first, then proceed to return that whole set.

ARGB is 3pin connector. its not compatible with 4pin RGB headers or any other headers that aren't specifically marked to be digital or ARGB. Furthermore if fans don't say that they are compatible with motherboard, then they aren't.

There was really no way to connect the hub to the motherboard. It's just connected to the PSU but the hub is not working. There's a led inside the hub that should be syncing with the fans when controlled with the remote but it's not lighting up. I hope the seller responds to me. Thanks for the reply

On 12/3/2019 at 1:50 AM, Bombastinator said:

TLDNR: there’s all kinds of scary regarding this one.  Can you return them and get your money back?

I’m not the most or even more knowledgeable person to reply, but I didn’t see anyone else doing it so I’ll give it a shot anyway.  I got distracted in the middle of this so it may come off extremely stilted in which case just ignore it.

You've got a no-name product so there isn’t a lot on the internet.  I found this video from the manufacturer apparently in Bangladesh.

which shows that the fan is apparently six pin?

never seen six pin.  They may be proprietary and therefore unreplacable.  The power connector is a more standard 4 pin that apparently goes to molex?! I have a bad feeling about this.

I looked at the link.  The PSU is straight power so any control would have to come from that remote.  I can’t get a good look at the remote either.   There appears to be only the one connector.  My understanding is that with normal rgb fans, rgb and fan power come on different leads.  There’s only one here though.

I don’t know enough about rgb or that connector to tell you whether or not the hub should have been inserted into the motherboard rather than the PSU though.  There are two connectors opposite the power connector that were unmarked.  Possibly for more fans.  How are you going to “insert the hub into my motherboard”. Did you pull the cable out of the PSU and are planning on now inserting it into the main board with a 4 pin cable? I don’t know enough about the connectors involved or the innards of that hub. It could theoretically be bad.  The impression I get is this thing doesn’t connect to the motherboard at all. In the video it seems to run separately of even a computer.  If it didn’t work correctly to start it could be DOA.

Yep, that's just like mine. But the difference is, the rgb is not working. I connected the fans to the hub then connected the hub to the PSU. The fans are spinning but the rgb, hub, and remote are not working.

5 minutes ago, eysikeyy said:

Yep, that's just like mine. But the difference is, the rgb is not working. I connected the fans to the hub then connected the hub to the PSU. The fans are spinning but the rgb, hub, and remote are not working.

Yeah, I don’t like this thing at all.  The proprietary fan thing is particularly bad.  If you can’t get your money back perhaps something can be done, but I wouldn’t even waste batteries on it till that turns out to be a “no”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 11 months later...

Hate to comment on a super old threat but.. Those connectors aren't proprietary by any means, they're the exact same ones that my Thermaltake fans + thermaltake fan controller use...

2 hours ago, jpowbrrrrrr said:

Hate to comment on a super old threat but.. Those connectors aren't proprietary by any means, they're the exact same ones that my Thermaltake fans + thermaltake fan controller use...

The coolmoin stuff?  6 pin? Has both fan power and color in it?  So you can run the fans and rgb without any computer attached at all? Only way to do any color change is through the remote?  More than one company using something doesn’t mean it’s not proprietary.  It’s not a standard.  Or wasn’t 11 months ago. 

16 hours ago, jpowbrrrrrr said:

Saying this means that you don't understand what proprietary means? Also please do link which Thermaltake products we are talking about. TT Sync Premium uses different connector than these.

Proprietary =/= universal. Meaning that it will work in limited range of products. Usually from one manufacturer, but with cheaper brands they also share these. Proprietary in this threads sense means that they can't be directly connected to mobo. If controller has support for mobo RGB sync features, it will have additional connector cable that would work with those.

ARGB universal standard is 3-pin/5V which is same form factor with 4pin/12V RGB header. Gigabyte uses different design, which does make it also proprietary in a sense.

(PS. usually this is not good excuse to revive dead threads. But I'm too curious to poke holes to your claims to care)

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv