Thinking about upgrading from a GTX 1050ti to a GTX 1660 or GTX 1660 ti.

Matthew485

I have a 1050ti at the moment, and I just want to run games more smoothly, and I think a GTX 1660 or 1660ti would be perfect, but I have two questions. 

My processor is a i5 7400 @3.0GHz.

1. Would either of these cards be held back/bottlenecked by the processor?

2. Do the 1050ti and 1660(ti) fit in the same size slot/port? Would I need a new motherboard?

Much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Matthew485 said:

I have a 1050ti at the moment, and I just want to run games more smoothly, and I think a GTX 1660 or 1660ti would be perfect, but I have two questions. 

2. Do the 1050ti and 1660(ti) fit in the same size slot/port? Would I need a new motherboard?

Much appreciated.

all graphics card fit in the same slot. but the question is, can your case and or PSU handle the GPU?

on the bottle necking, no idea. it may be bottlenecked in some games and not so much in others. 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

33 minutes ago, Matthew485 said:

That depends entirely on the game. Lower resolutions and higher framerates will tax your CPU much harder. Also, newer games are starting to do more multithreading, so having more cores is better, and not having enough can cause slowdowns.

I'd also recommend going with an RX 5500 XT when they come out instead. (should be sometime this month or next month for availability)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, Matthew485 said:

Much appreciated.

1) Compared to something like an i9-9900k, yeah, it will bottleneck to an extent in some games that are CPU bound. 

2) 1660 (Ti) will fit in same slot and you shouldn't need a new motherboard. The size concern is more related to your Case and what kind of variant of 1660 (Ti) you get (length of the card). Motherboard concern; you might have to do a Bios update in some cases. 

3) Somewhat of a concern will be what PSU you are currently using, as the 1660 (Ti) draws more power than a 1050 Ti. Although, pretty much any high quality 450w should be more than fine for handling the load.