Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What should my Ethernet access point be connected to?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So my home's Internet access is in a pretty weird situation. The router is downstairs, but my PC is upstairs. I can't really wire an Ethernet cable up like that (I just can't) so I am currently using an Ethernet adapter that connects to the Wi-Fi and adapts it to an Ethernet cable connected to my PC.


Recently I bought a Wi-Fi range extender and set that up near my PC. What I was wondering was whether or not I should switch my Ethernet adapter's connection from my router to the nearer Wi-Fi extender/access point.


This might a dumb question but I'm still relatively new to networking as a whole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really understand what you are saying. But this is the options for you:


ROUTER -> Wifi extender -> PC - Wifi dongle / card.

ROUTER -> Power Line Ethernet -> PC (ethernet)


Depending on the house powerline wire installation, you might be better with a PoE bridge.

Image result for poe adapter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now