Advice appreciated

Posted previously about troubleshooting a current issue with my PC- it's currently in a repair shop to test the motherboard and CPU separately to figure out what's causing the issue.. thank you for the help! :)

In the meantime, I've been looking at newer components to get an idea what's on the market.

My current PC spec built in 2014;

Corsair 350D Case
5 x BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm fans
ASUS Maximus Vii Gene motherboard
Intel i7 4790k 4GHz CPU
Corsair H100i CPU water cooler

Corsair AX860 PSU
8GB G.Skill 2133MHz RAM

480GB OCZ Arc 100 SSD
250GB Samsung SSD
1TB Seagate HDD
ASUS Nvidia GTX 780

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading either to the latest socket out atm or next year when the 10th gen Intel is released.

Based on the specs above and assuming buying what's available now- what would you suggest keeping a hold of to use in the upgraded rig and what would you replace parts with?

I'd like to stay with Intel and Nvidia and would be used mostly for gaming/photo and video editing (not professionally).

Your help/advice is much appreciated. ❤️

I'd take a long hard look at AMD for the CPU.  Storage, case, psu and cooler (if compatible with whatever you get) can stay, the rest I'd sell to help subsidize the upgrade.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'd take a long hard look at AMD for the CPU.  Storage, case, psu and cooler (if compatible with whatever you get) can stay, the rest I'd sell to help subsidize the upgrade.

To be honest I've never looked at AMD- always been Intel and stayed with what I know but I'll read up more on the Ryzen.. have heard they're making some noise lately.

Thank you for the suggestion on what to keep a hold of! :)

So I am in the process of going from an I7-4770k to an R7-3800X build, and it does seem to be pretty nice. The synthetic benchmarks are looking very good and I'm getting even single thread numbers up there with the 9900k. Once I've been able to get test results on my games I'll report back more on satisfaction levels. I'm running VR flight sims which are CPU intensive. 

One thing about your current rig is, I'd expect the GTX 780 to be the real limiting factor right now. It has a passmarl or 7956 points, while a Geforce 1660 Super or Radeon 5500 get around 12,000. Thing is, this is not a great time to buy 3D cards, at least until Big Navi and the Intel Xe push prices down, so if you're getting good enough frame rates it may be best to wait a bit longer and update your 3d card first.