Need help with my new monitor

feronyx

I just got my 165hz asus vg258qr gaming monitor, and im not really happy with the purchase, i have a problem with motion blur its literally in every game and even when im just scrolling in google everything gets blurred

My pal owns this monitor too and he said to me that he doesnt see any motion blur at all, no matter how fast he moves the mouse everything is crystal clear..

I'll leave the name of my gpu incase u need it:

geforce gtx 960.

I will really appreciate it if u can help me, please i really need to solve this motion blur problem, its really annoying, especially when other people with the same monitor like mine have 0 motion blur ?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried changing the Overdrive setting in the monitor OSD menu? 

Also, does it actually run at 165Hz? Have you checked? 

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Have you tried changing the Overdrive setting in the monitor OSD menu? 

Also, does it actually run at 165Hz? Have you checked? 

Yes i checked both in the advanced display settings and nvidia control panel that it runs at 165hz

and whats overdrive? i dont have it in my OSD menu.. maybe its called TraceFree? if it is tracefree then its on 60

On Asus monitor overdrive is called "TraceFree" it's basically response time overclocking, the higher the overdrive the less motion blur but if you have it too high you'll get inverse ghosting/coronas (here's a link to a good explanation of it https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ )

so put both the monitor and the nvidia control panel to 165hz, you can double check in advanced display properties in windows to see if it's working like it should, and the recommended overdrive for asus monitors is 60 out of 100, but change it around a bit to see what you like, on my VG279Q i personally use 80/100

I just found an option in the OSD menu called Extreme Low Motion Blur which was set to off, i turned it on but i didnt see any difference at all, only got stutters from turning it on..

3 minutes ago, Crunken said:

On Asus monitor overdrive is called "TraceFree" it's basically response time overclocking, the higher the overdrive the less motion blur but if you have it too high you'll get inverse ghosting/coronas (here's a link to a good explanation of it https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ )

so put both the monitor and the nvidia control panel to 165hz, you can double check in advanced display properties in windows to see if it's working like it should, and the recommended overdrive for asus monitors is 60 out of 100, but change it around a bit to see what you like, on my VG279Q i personally use 80/100

I'll update you when im done doing that

thanks for replying

7 minutes ago, Crunken said:

Well, i set trace free to 100 and that helped a bit, but still theres motion blur.. ?

In the top tab of Asus' OSD you have the "GameVisual" tab, i use the FPS mode without ELMB enabled, works really good for be but our monitors are different. Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

1 minute ago, Crunken said:

In the top tab of Asus' OSD you have the "GameVisual" tab, i use the FPS mode without ELMB enabled, works really good for be but our monitors are different. Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

Yessir driver version 436.48

changed gamevisual to fps mode, sadly that didnt help ?

Might be something with the monitor then, could you try the monitor if your friend had the same one? he just might not notice as much as you do or it might be a defect from the factory

2 minutes ago, Crunken said:

Might be something with the monitor then, could you try the monitor if your friend had the same one? he just might not notice as much as you do or it might be a defect from the factory

Wait, i dont think that its a motion blur problem, but a multiple image effect problem, everytime i move my mouse ingame all is see is multiple images of players and everything

Or ask your friend what settings he's using, try those and see if it fixes it

4 minutes ago, Crunken said:

Or ask your friend what settings he's using, try those and see if it fixes it

Yeah i am using the same settings he uses, but look dude, i dont think its a motion blur problem, because the images are doubling when i move my mouse ingame, nothing is actually blurry, im so dumb sorry for that mistake

32 minutes ago, feronyx said:

Yeah i am using the same settings he uses, but look dude, i dont think its a motion blur problem, because the images are doubling when i move my mouse ingame, nothing is actually blurry, im so dumb sorry for that mistake

Try lowering the trace free setting, you might have it too high

@feronyx

Sounds like ur either using to high a overdrive settings (tracefree) causing inverse ghosting and/or you have an enhanced motion effect enabled and ur noticing strobe crosstalk in which case make sure ur using freesync/gsync/vsync to keep the strobing in sync, or just disable it.

Will likely be called one of the following

• Motion Blur Reduction
  • LightBoost
  • ULMB – Ultra Low Motion Blur
  • DyAc – Dynamic Accuracy
  • ELMB – Extreme Low Motion Blur
  • VRB – Visual Response Boost
  • Aim Stabilizer
  • MotionFlow Impulse  

Blurbusters has a page dedicated to motion handling that may interest you.

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

@feronyx

Sounds like ur either using to high a overdrive settings (tracefree) causing inverse ghosting and/or you have an enhanced motion effect enabled and ur noticing strobe crosstalk in which case make sure ur using freesync/gsync/vsync to keep the strobing in sync, or just disable it.

Will likely be called one of the following

• Motion Blur Reduction
  • LightBoost
  • ULMB – Ultra Low Motion Blur
  • DyAc – Dynamic Accuracy
  • ELMB – Extreme Low Motion Blur
  • VRB – Visual Response Boost
  • Aim Stabilizer
  • MotionFlow Impulse  

Blurbusters has a page dedicated to motion handling that may interest you.

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

Thank you dude for your reply !

I have ELMB set to off, when i turn it on and go to the crosstalk ufo test site, all the ufos double, when elmb is set to off i dont get the doubling thing on the ufos..

I'll test vsync in a couple of games and see if theres any good difference, will try gsync once i get a nvidia 10-series gpu