Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaaromMike

Looking to upgrade my PC and would like some advice

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests I'm considering to upgrade my PC since I recently upgraded from 1080p 144Hz to 1440p 144Hz and I feel like my PC just isn't powerful enough to play the latest games at 1440p Ultra and get 60FPS, let alone 144Hz. But I don't really know what part I should upgrade, I was personally thinking to upgrade my GPU (maybe a 2080 super)? But I don't know if my CPU would even be powerful enough to run a new GPU and if that's the best value. Let me just say: I don't really need to get 144Hz in every game but getting at least 75 would be nice while playing on ultra/very high.

At max I would like to spend around 900 euro's, I don't mind to go over it but let's just say I rather not... So any advice or tips you guys might have would be appreciated.

 

My current build is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x (OC'd to 3.9 GHz)

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz

PSU: 700W Sharkoon 80+ Bronze

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can just drop a Ryzen 3600 in that motherboard with a BIOS update.

 

The 1070Ti + 3600 should give you 1440p 100Hz+ really well.  1070Ti isn't a slouch.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DaaromMike said:

PSU: 700W Sharkoon 80+ Bronze

Unless you want your system to blow up- that needs to be upgraded.


Spoiler

Main Rig: 

AMD Athlon II X4 650 at 3.1GHz [4 cores, 4 threads] 

Foxconn Alvorix RS-880-uATX

Radeon HD 4200 iGPU

2x4GB Generic 1600MHz DDR3

Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Corsair CX500 (move along...)

HP Pavilion Case

Windows 10 Home, Pop! OS and Linux Mint 64-Bit

32 Inch Samsung TV 1366 by 768 60Hz

Spoiler

Laptop #1

HP G56

Celeron 900 at 2.2GHz

Intel 4500MHD 

2x2GB Generic 800MHz DDR2

120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Linux Mint 64-Bit 

Spoiler

Consoles:

Nintendo Switch 32GB Red/Blue Joy-Cons HAC 001-01 (The revision with better battery life) 

Original PS4 500GB Matte Black (With 2TB WD Elements External Hard Drive) 

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

iPad Air 2 64GB Space Grey [running iPadOS 13.1]

iPhone 11 64GB (Product) Red [iOS 13.1]

 

ok, maybe I use night theme a little

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

You can throw in a 3600 in there and some 3000-3200mhz ram and probably a better PSU like the rm550x or tx550m from corsair and a 5700xt. If you sell your previous stuff it should be in the range of the 900€.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

 

You can throw in a 3600 in there and some 3000-3200mhz ram and probably a better PSU like the rm550x or tx550m from corsair and a 5700xt. If you sell your previous stuff it should be in the range of the 900€.

I think outside of the 3600, you're looking at minimal upgrades for more money than can be justified.  New RAM won't do much at that small speed increase for the hassle.  PSU yes, but the 1070Ti is fine.  

 

Unless the OP really wants to spend his 900, I'd get a CPU and wait til the next gen for an upgrade.

 

@DaaromMike, you don;t list an SSD.  That's mandatory, if you don't have one.  If you do, look into more SSD space for the games.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a list

 

 

Also your 1070ti is still really good so might save up that.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jstudrawa said:

I think outside of the 3600, you're looking at minimal upgrades for more money than can be justified.  New RAM won't do much at that small speed increase for the hassle.  PSU yes, but the 1070Ti is fine.  

 

Unless the OP really wants to spend his 900, I'd get a CPU and wait til the next gen for an upgrade.

Oh ok then perhaps a 3700x ? And a PSU


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plouffe said:

Oh ok then perhaps a 3700x ? And a PSU

Why tho?  The 3700X is a gaming + streaming chip.  The 3600 is just as good for gaming, and much cheaper.  Justify your suggestion of the 3700X.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Why tho?  The 3700X is a gaming + streaming chip.  The 3600 is just as good for gaming, and much cheaper.  Justify your suggestion of the 3700X.

Because he has the budget that's the only argument I have since the 3600 and 3700x are comparable in gaming performance.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Because he has the budget that's the only argument I have since the 3600 and 3700x are comparable in gaming performance.

Cool.  I'm going for the same performance for saving money argument.

 

If he WANTS to spend all his cash, then by all means.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Unless you want your system to blow up- that needs to be upgraded.

Is it really that bad? I knew it wasn't that good but I also didn't knew It needed to be replaced immediately, but it may be time anyway since I've had it for the better part of 3 years now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Cool.  I'm going for the same performance for saving money argument.

 

If he WANTS to spend all his cash, then by all means.

Can't really disagree with you anyway since I suggested the 3600 too, I was just wondering if it was worth it money wise.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Cool.  I'm going for the same performance for saving money argument.

 

If he WANTS to spend all his cash, then by all means.

Fair point, I do feel like a 3700x can be justified tho because I forgot to mention that I do edit video's sometimes and I used to stream and may get back into it eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaaromMike said:

Is it really that bad? I knew it wasn't that good but I also didn't knew It needed to be replaced immediately, but it may be time anyway since I've had it for the better part of 3 years now...

 

It's not even in the holy list :o


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

I think outside of the 3600, you're looking at minimal upgrades for more money than can be justified.  New RAM won't do much at that small speed increase for the hassle.  PSU yes, but the 1070Ti is fine.  

 

Unless the OP really wants to spend his 900, I'd get a CPU and wait til the next gen for an upgrade.

 

@DaaromMike, you don;t list an SSD.  That's mandatory, if you don't have one.  If you do, look into more SSD space for the games.

I do in fact have an SSD, a 970 Evo 500GB to be exact, I have though about getting an extra SATA SSD for gaming but I don't really feel like it's necessary since I'm fine with games loading a little slower with my HDD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

 

It's not even in the holy list :o

Yikes, guess the first thing I'm buying is a new power supply, or maybe I'll take it out of my Media Server since I recently upgraded that one with a BeQuite System Power 9 600W :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaaromMike said:

I do in fact have an SSD, a 970 Evo 500GB to be exact, I have though about getting an extra SATA SSD for gaming but I don't really feel like it's necessary since I'm fine with games loading a little slower with my HDD.

As long as you don't play heavily modded games, HDD is fine.  


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DaaromMike said:

Yikes, guess the first thing I'm buying is a new power supply, or maybe I'll take it out of my Media Server since I recently upgraded that one with a BeQuite System Power 9 600W :)

its not about watt but like quality. there is a thread to  the PSU tier


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Spec: Asus Vivobook S140UN    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

| CPU: i5-8250U Turbo 3.4Ghz | 

| RAM: 8 single-channel DDR4 2333mhz |

| Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB HTSG HDD

 | GPU: MX-150 4Gb 25 TDP |

| Monitor: LGMK430H-B |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaaromMike said:

Yikes, guess the first thing I'm buying is a new power supply, or maybe I'll take it out of my Media Server since I recently upgraded that one with a BeQuite System Power 9 600W :)

The TX550M I put in the list is nice, semi modular, 80+ gold, the RM550X is fully modular, 80+ gold but it's an excellent PSU, I put one in a friend computer and it endles a 2700x + 1080ti just fine :)


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

The TX550M I put in the list is nice, semi modular, 80+ gold, the RM550X is fully modular, 80+ gold but it's an excellent PSU, I put one in a friend computer and it endles a 2700x + 1080ti just fine :)

Sadly those are out of stock on the site where I usually buy my pc parts, but I did see another appealing deal on a PSU from the list, specifically the Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 which is around 95 euros right now and it's on Tier A of the list so I'm assuming that one is good as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaaromMike said:

Sadly those are out of stock on the site where I usually buy my pc parts, but I did see another appealing deal on a PSU from the list, specifically the Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 which is around 95 euros right now and it's on Tier A of the list so I'm assuming that one is good as well?

Yup it will be good too and if the 550w is available you can go for it since750w will be overkill.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Yup it will be good too and if the 550w is available you can go for it since750w will be overkill.

The difference in price between the 550w and the 750w is only about 15 euro's which I don't mind spending in order to get some more future proofing to be honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×