Used GPU in 2012 build

radcustom

So my 7870 died this year.

Not sure I want to get a new PC this time round - might switch to console.

My system specs: 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB - DEAD

- Corsair TX 650W

I want to put a used GPU in there that I can resell the GPU later this year when I sell this PC for parts.

I have been looking at the R9 280X, R9 380X, RX 470, RX 480.

I would ideally want to keep it at around £50-£70. I don't think it's worth spending £100+; unless you think it is and that a newer GPU would hold it's value better than an older GPU.

Gaming at 1080p.

7870 could do High in most games at 1080p. Would like to continue being able to game at high in most games 1080p.

Currently using a 8800 GTS 640MB trying to play subnautica but it runs at around 15fps-20fps ?

Of course there are plenty of other games I want and love to play but right now I am playing Subnautica. 

Or I can buy a new RX 570 on OCUK's website for £120: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-red-dragon-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18n-pc.html

Thanks

your local classified ads (such as craigslist) is usually the best first place to go for cheap used cards. hard to point you at any specific card as the used market is always changing. you could just get something like a gt 1030 that will run most games at low plus and call it a day, especially since your looking at getting a new system soon.    

Just now, doomsriker said:

your local classified ads (such as craigslist) is usually the best first place to go for cheap used cards. hard to point you at any specific card as the used market is always changing. you could just get something like a gt 1030 that will run most games at low plus and call it a day, especially since your looking at getting a new system soon.    

Defo do not want to game at low. The 7870 could muster medium in most games at 1080p.

1 minute ago, radcustom said:

Defo do not want to game at low. The 7870 could muster medium in most games at 1080p.

1030 is almost on par with the 7870 (maybe 15% or so less powerful). the gt 1030 almost matches the power of a gtx 950

Sorry I must've clicked quote rather than edit when I went to edit my post so now theres this post right here

Update: Just won an ebay auction for this:

MSI Radeon RX 570 4GB Gaming X
£86 including delivery.

What do you all think?

Not bad, if it works.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

52 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Not bad, if it works.

if it works? Now I'm scared.....

If you zoom in on the thumbnail previews, you can just about make out that the card is photographed in a system running connected to a display mid game... in various photos.

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 11.10.44.png

11 hours ago, radcustom said:

if it works? Now I'm scared.....

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to keep your expectations grounded in reality. Shipping can cause problems. It may shake loose a fan mounting, or break off a fan blade, or damage one of the capacitors... It's not common, but it does happen. The seller may even ship you a completely different card than what is pictured, like a failed one that is identical to what he's actually using. (it's rare for that to happen though)

Just be aware.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

3 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to keep your expectations grounded in reality. Shipping can cause problems. It may shake loose a fan mounting, or break off a fan blade, or damage one of the capacitors... It's not common, but it does happen. The seller may even ship you a completely different card than what is pictured, like a failed one that is identical to what he's actually using. (it's rare for that to happen though)

Just be aware.

If it's packaged properly, it should be fine.

My 1070 arrived in one piece, although the box was damaged a little bit in one corner. Overall, it was a solid packing job.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Just be aware.

The guy I'm buying from has offered to send photos of him packing it and the card itself once it's removed it. He has alredy sent gpu-z photos and hevaen benchmark as per my request (the benchmark I didn't request).

He doesn't have the original box but says he will put it in a anti static bag and package it well. So let's see. 

''When I am home will show pictures of card in case with windows showing on tv. Also show you when open case and when packaged as well. Hope this helps calm the nerves. Also using app as can get away answering your questions via my phone. Reply''

IF there are any issues as you describe will eBay refund me?

He kept to his word. He photographed it all. The front of the card. The rear. The side. The package process. The final box. He put the GPU inside a box it seems (didn't show that part) and that box went inside another box with bubble wrap.
The photos aren't the best. But he did it.

Here. I will show you the photos he sent me today except the final photo that has my address on the box. He sent one of the rear but as it has the serial number on it (not sure if that can be misused) I won't show it.

Have to say though It is one ugly tacky looking card. Reviews state the PCB is huge and the heatsink too so apparently it runs super quiet. Which is going to be incredible coming from a dodgy (noise wise) 7870 that made LOTS of sound including a resonating shroud that made a buzzing sound.

This MSI card also apparently runs super cool. Which is not something AMD are known for. So looks like I got an awesome card as long as it works.

>>>> Is it dangerous to show a serial number from a pc part online?

> He claims the bag the GPU is in in the photo is an anti static bag that came with his 5700 XT. But looking at YouTube video unboxings shows the standard metallic somewhat shiny grey bag. 

>>>> Any ideas?
Ah I zoomed in on a photo he had uploaded for the listing as I remember spotting a GPU PCIE 4.0 box in it the other day. Realised it's a nitro + card. Watched an unboxing video of it and low and behold it is indeed the antistatic bag. How odd sapphire would use a bag that looks like this: 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9 hours ago, radcustom said:

I'm glad it's working out for you. Unfortunately I don't know about what consumer protections you might have from eBay for any issues that happen during shipping, so I can't help you there. I really hope nothing bad happens, as that appears to be a really good packaging job.