New PC won't boot after OC, clearing CMOS isn't working

StarStrider

I just built a new computer yesterday. I got windows installed on it and everything working. It's a Ryzen 3600 on a Gigabyte B450 pro wifi, 32gb of corsair memory, 750w 80+ gold Seasonic PSU and a GTX 1070ti. I put it together yesterday, everything worked fine, I installed windows and some games and used it for about 6 hours straight. Today, I decided to try to overclock the CPU by just a bit. I noticed it was running fine at 4ghz so I tried to bump it up to 4.2ghz, but no boot. So I bridged the clear CMOS pins, but still no boot. So I unplugged it and pulled the battery. Still no boot. I've overclocked multiple computers before, and I can't believe a 200mhz bump could have killed my CPU. Is there anything else I should try? The computer turns on, everything lights up, the fans ramp up and then slow down but nothing happens. I also tried swapping the GPU for my old R9 290 but that didn't net any results either. I've tried forcing a bios backup, a gigabyte feature, I've also taken out and put the CPU back in and tried taking out 2-3 sticks of RAM. There is an error LED on my motherboard, but it gets passed CPU every time. Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, StarStrider said:

I just built a new computer yesterday. I got windows installed on it and everything working. It's a Ryzen 3600 on a Gigabyte B450 pro wifi, 32gb of corsair memory, 750w 80+ gold Seasonic PSU and a GTX 1070ti. I put it together yesterday, everything worked fine, I installed windows and some games and used it for about 6 hours straight. Today, I decided to try to overclock the CPU by just a bit. I noticed it was running fine at 4ghz so I tried to bump it up to 4.2ghz, but no boot. So I bridged the clear CMOS pins, but still no boot. So I unplugged it and pulled the battery. Still no boot. I've overclocked multiple computers before, and I can't believe a 200mhz bump could have killed my CPU. Is there anything else I should try? The computer turns on, everything lights up, the fans ramp up and then slow down but nothing happens. I also tried swapping the GPU for my old R9 290 but that didn't net any results either. I've tried forcing a bios backup, a gigabyte feature, I've also taken out and put the CPU back in and tried taking out 2-3 sticks of RAM. There is an error LED on my motherboard, but it gets passed CPU every time. Any ideas?

You could try flashing the BIOS which you seem to have done.  Also if the overclock fails it just boots back post with defaults or something like that.  You should be able to power up no problem.  Oh if your getting red light on CPU then ya its been botched.  It should work ok,, but do take note and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You could try flashing the BIOS which you seem to have done.  Also if the overclock fails it just boots back post with defaults or something like that.  You should be able to power up no problem.  Oh if your getting red light on CPU then ya its been botched.  It should work ok,, but do take note and what not.

Yeah, I tried flashing the BIOS. No post, just stays on a black screen. The boot light goes to VGA and stops there

49 minutes ago, StarStrider said:

Yeah, I tried flashing the BIOS. No post, just stays on a black screen. The boot light goes to VGA and stops there

Did u change the voltage ? or did u use some auto oc stuff on the mainboard maybe its not the chip that got dmg maybe its the board. If u did not do any kind of change to the voltage etc its very unlikely u did dmg any hardware without it 

5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Did u change the voltage ? or did u use some auto oc stuff on the mainboard maybe its not the chip that got dmg maybe its the board. If u did not do any kind of change to the voltage etc its very unlikely u did dmg any hardware without it 

I did manually input a frequency change, but I left the voltage to Auto.

8 minutes ago, StarStrider said:

I did manually input a frequency change, but I left the voltage to Auto.

Mhh depending on the Board auto voltage can be very strange if u start ocing and not using a fixed voltage.

Do u have another Monitor with a old vga connection or could u unplug your Monitor from Power and put it back in i had a Problem that after i oced my 8700k it bluescreened very hard and my Monitor using displayport did not show any picture anymore i needed to reset the power of the Monitor like unplug wait and plug it back in to get a picture again cause in your first post it sound like it could be that too cause u say fans turn on and slow down leds are on could be that u just dont get a picture 

18 hours ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Mhh depending on the Board auto voltage can be very strange if u start ocing and not using a fixed voltage.

Do u have another Monitor with a old vga connection or could u unplug your Monitor from Power and put it back in i had a Problem that after i oced my 8700k it bluescreened very hard and my Monitor using displayport did not show any picture anymore i needed to reset the power of the Monitor like unplug wait and plug it back in to get a picture again cause in your first post it sound like it could be that too cause u say fans turn on and slow down leds are on could be that u just dont get a picture 

I tried this, and it didn't work. I basically gave up and went out to get another 3600, but when I put it in it still wouldn't boot. So now I'm thinking my board is dead