Weird High Pitched Whine

Daidis

Okay, to start out I have a Xonar Phoebus as a sound card. Instead of going directly to the sound card, I use a capture card as a pass through. This causes some high pitched static whine when used in both the capture card (LiveGamer HD) and the sound card, although the static whine is more prevalent in the capture card. Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this sound? Or what might be causing it?

Okay, to start out I have a Xonar Phoebus as a sound card. Instead of going directly to the sound card, I use a capture card as a pass through. This causes some high pitched static whine when used in both the capture card (LiveGamer HD) and the sound card, although the static whine is more prevalent in the capture card. Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this sound? Or what might be causing it?

Honestly, I'm not particularly sure. It seems like certain products will get whining when only doing certain things. Like one of Linus' motherboards that would only whine when tranferring things over the network.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The whining is usually refereed to as coil whining, and its common with many components. 

Although it's annoying, it's usually fine.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Honestly, I'm not particularly sure. It seems like certain products will get whining when only doing certain things. Like one of Linus' motherboards that would only whine when tranferring things over the network.

I think it might be due to graphics card EMI? I am not positive, but whenever I move my mouse or during gaming the whine gets louder. I can mostly get rid of it by drowning out the whine with in-game sound and bump up my mic, but I'd like to get the problem fixed if at all possible.

It's probably emi, you'd have to get a custom shield if you still want to use the phobeus.

I'd say use HDMI, it's a digital signal so it won't be affected by EMI.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

It's probably emi, you'd have to get a custom shield if you still want to use the phobeus.

I'd say use HDMI, it's a digital signal so it won't be affected by EMI.

HDMI for...? My monitor?

I should have asked, but assumed you were streaming video.(please clarify if you're not)

gpu HDMI > avermedia card > monitor. 

it leaves out the phobeus but uses digital signals so no emi problems.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I should have asked, but assumed you were streaming video.(please clarify if you're not)

gpu HDMI > avermedia card > monitor. 

it leaves out the phobeus but uses digital signals so no emi problems.

I do exactly that, but I have an audio passthrough from sound card to the capture card as well to record in-game sound. (just a 3.5mm connector)

under the recording devices there's a listen to device option.

if you enable that you should be able to pass the mic through to the GPU HDMI.

under the recording devices there's a listen to device option.

if you enable that you should be able to pass the mic through to the GPU HDMI.

Alright, that is accomplished, but how do I make it so it picks up in-game sound as well as my mic? Same process?

make hdmi the default audio device.

While this will work for recording, is there any way to make it so that I can hear my in-game sound, AND send sound to the HDMI for recording?