Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phoon

Game Optimization (Intel vs AMD)

Couple small gaming companies when they did devblogs about game optimization they mentioned they received much better support from Intel and Nvidia and these companies promised to provide much better performance to Intel and Nvidia hardware, AMD will be king of the hill for heavy work rendering and similar stuff, for gaming amd still catching.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

 

I built my first gaming pc about 4 years ago and it was pretty high end back then, still runs great now (6700k w/ 1080). Now I know AMD is on the rise right now and is offering more cores and higher clocks for a good price, maybe a better price than Intel. Before I decide to built my new pc, my question is:

 

Game Optimization: Are most games more optimized for intel or AMD?

 

Because I've honestly seen a lot of bug issues, not only in gaming, but in PC day to day use when it comes to AMD's new line ups. I've always thought since Intel held the dominant share of CPUs in PCs, that game devs would optimize their games for that. Hey I don't know much about Processor dies and how different architectures can affect performance. 

 

Thank you in advance for your FRIENDLY ADVICE  and  UNBIASED OPINION! 

 

❤️


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just upgraded my system 3 weeks ago. Went from a 6700k (like you) to a 3900X. I paired that with a 1080Ti. (you can find all the specs on my profile)

In terms of stability I haven't experienced any problems as of yet. I am also really happy with the performance delivered by the 3900X.

A good example of the performance I've gained:

While playing Black Ops 4 at max settings (motion blur off, vsync on) with the 6700K I would only hit around 120FPS at 1080p. When looking in Task Manager the CPU would be pinned at 100%. 

Now, with the 3900X I constantly stay on 144FPS (which is my displays max refresh rate.) and the CPU is chilling at 50% (although that might differ if you get a different CPU like a 3700X).

 

Overall I'm quite happy with the new Ryzen lineup from AMD.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to post
Share on other sites

What bugs are You talking about? These aren't GPUs, the differences are minimal and stability is unaffected. If software is unstable on Intel, it will certainly also have issues on AMD and vice versa. Both are x86-64 CPUs

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

Couple small gaming companies when they did devblogs about game optimization they mentioned they received much better support from Intel and Nvidia and these companies promised to provide much better performance to Intel and Nvidia hardware, AMD will be king of the hill for heavy work rendering and similar stuff, for gaming amd still catching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speed258 said:

Couple small gaming companies when they did devblogs about game optimization they mentioned they received much better support from Intel and Nvidia and these companies promised to provide much better performance to Intel and Nvidia hardware, AMD will be king of the hill for heavy work rendering and similar stuff, for gaming amd still catching.

What are you talking about as well? Please provide evidence as this is pretty baseless

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speed258 said:

https://warthunder.com/en and https://worldofwarships.com look for 2016-2018 devblogs if you lucky you will found it. Good luck.

Were, please point to the exact post else this is just a wild goose chase. Also, 2016? You mean before Ryzen existed? How is that relevant at all? And most of the talk here is about graphics cards. Seriously, either back up your claims or I will assume you are post farming

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Were, please point to the exact post else this is just a wild goose chase. Also, 2016? You mean before Ryzen existed? How is that relevant at all? And most of the talk here is about graphics cards. Seriously, either back up your claims or I will assume you are post farming

To find exact post will take days, and I'm not post farming, look for youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCueyCLPsCxjk1ZwtAmu6Gvw he testing all sorts of hardware, also check https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg he also does hardware comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

*snip*

Fun fact but working with AMD drivers(programming) is million times better and easier than nvidia and amd has much more detailed documentation and easier to test driver functions while on nvidia its ghost chase since documentation is very thin

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, speed258 said:

*snip*

No, I'm not. I am simply explaining that those YouTube channels are known to post fake videos and have been discredited multiple times. Look at proper reviews from Gamers Nexus, HardwareUnboxed, Anandtech, OC3D.TV and etc if you want proper testing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speed258 said:

Fun fact but working with AMD drivers(programming) is million times better and easier than nvidia and amd has much more detailed documentation and easier to test driver functions while on nvidia its ghost chase since documentation is very thin

Source on that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, 5x5 said:

No, I'm not. I am simply explaining that those YouTube channels are known to post fake videos and have been discredited multiple times. Look at proper reviews from Gamers Nexus, HardwareUnboxed, Anandtech, OC3D.TV and etc if you want proper testing

I see where you're coming from. But the youtube channels he posted are a reliable source.


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phoon said:

I see where you're coming from. But the youtube channels he posted are a reliable source.

No, they are not. Me and many others have compared results with them. Nothing is accurate on those channels, least of all the data. They are SEO spamming the YouTube algorithm with cheap visual copy pasting of Digital Foundry

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Source on that?

AMD: https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/display-library < working example + documentation full fan management for different generation gpus, and easy overclocking control.

Nvidia: https://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/coresdk/nvapi/modules.html + documentation which not include powerstate, fan management management only GET

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speed258 said:

AMD: https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/display-library < working example + documentation full fan management for different generation gpus, and easy overclocking control.

Nvidia: https://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/coresdk/nvapi/modules.html + documentation which not include powerstate, fan management management only GET

Gameworks is not a driver. It's an effects and feature suite. GPU open is also not a driver. It's the open source library that AMD released and nobody uses. So your claims have no merit again...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, speed258 said:

AMD: https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/display-library < working example + documentation full fan management for different generation gpus, and easy overclocking control.

Nvidia: https://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/coresdk/nvapi/modules.html + documentation which not include powerstate, fan management management only GET

this is fine 👍


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phoon said:

this is fine 👍

That is not a driver..............that's a library of features such as TressFX, Hairworks and etc. It s literally not used in 99% of games......

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, 5x5 said:

That is not a driver..............that's a library of features such as TressFX, Hairworks and etc. It s literally not used in 99% of games......

literally in 20+ AAA games in my steam library right now and thats without counting uplay games. :(


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, speed258 said:

https://warthunder.com/en and https://worldofwarships.com look for 2016-2018 devblogs if you lucky you will found it. Good luck.

wargaming did an update to their engine to use more cores.not a whole lot more. one more thing is that they seemingly made their engine less caring about memmory latency, but that may have been a thing since the beginning. 

 

(they probably made them with ryzen in mind, tho since clock for clock they are rather similar, intel benefited greatly from the update aswell)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That is not a driver..............that's a library of features such as TressFX, Hairworks and etc. It s literally not used in 99% of games......

we're talking about performance not drivers.


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phoon said:

literally in 20+ AAA games in my steam library right now and thats without counting uplay games. :(

Yes, because only about 40-50 games total support these compared to several hundred thousand on the market. The vast majority only incorporate them if AMD or Nvidia sponsor the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phoon said:

we're talking about performance not drivers.

Yes,.perfoance.is handled by tuning the drivers and software engine, not adding effects. There is a reason why a driver update can massively improve performance in a game regardless of if it has GPU Open effects or Gameworks additions. The game engine and driver are more important for a GPU

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Yes,.perfoance.is handled by tuning the drivers and software engine, not adding effects. There is a reason why a driver update can massively improve performance in a game regardless of if it has GPU Open effects or Gameworks additions. The game engine and driver are more important for a GPU

Yeah you are right but the latter does hold merit, companies can't optimize their games for both platforms equally. There's always same spec hardware different performance results.


My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phoon said:

Are most games more optimized for intel or AMD?

neither, kinda. depends on the engine and the quirks the engine has. 

 

CS;GO for some reason loves Zen 2 and but hates Zen 1 and 2. (hard to set examples with intel as the architecture has changed a whole lot). 

 

but you can expect more cores to be rather important to some extent. singlecore clockspeed being the limiter in FPS. 

 

HT is hugely important atm as threadcount is very important to keep the threads from being saturated. in a game like battlefield which can use 6 threads well. 6c/6t is cutting is close with background task causing stuttering. 6c/12t meanwhile has the threads to have leftover pipelines for other tasks. 

8c/8t still arent having these issues, but its only a matter of time before they get them aswell. 

 

edit: intel is usually faster however, wether thats down to game optimizations is hard to tell, or if Zen just isnt the best for gaming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phoon said:

Yeah you are right but the latter does hold merit, companies can't optimize their games for both platforms equally. There's always same spec hardware different performance results.

Yes they can. Optimization is not some kind of arcane magic. Ita simply fixing errors in the code and streamlining it. For GPUs it's about making sure the card isn't sitting idle due to a weird instruction or order. For CPUs it's even easier, hence why current Intel and AMD CPUs are extremely close in most games, just depends on whether the engine likes IPC or clocks more and even then the margin is 4-5%

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×