Weird fan Behavor on New Asus ROG Crosshair VII Ryzen 3600 build

Tannah

I’ve run across some scary weirdness with a new system setup I am building.

This is the 5th Ryzen I’ve built. But its the first one with the new Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

New System Specs

Corsair 750D Airflow Case

Case Fans: 2 Noctua 140mm Linus Tech Tips branded Intake Fans, 2 Corsair 140mm (A1425L 12S-2) Top exhaust Fans, 1 Fractal Design 140mm (FD-FAN-DYN-X2-GP14-BK) Rear Exhaust Fan.

HeatSink: Noctua D15S (Air flow from front to back)

Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WIFI) x470 (bios patch ABB 2703, 2019/08/23)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 (65w)

Ram: Gskill TridentZ Samsung B die 16gb set running at 3600

Video Card: XFX r9 390 (recycled)

PSU: Corsair AX750

Storage: M.2 Samsung 970 Evo plus 256, 2tb WD Black 7200rpm

I’ve read that the new Ryzen 3000 series runs at ridiculously hot temperatures. Whether at idle in the bios or idle on the desktop the CPU seems to idle at 40c to 47c under heavy load such at prime95 it tops out at 87c! which I find crazy hot for a 65w part, this is at default no overclocking.

I’ve tried re-pasting with Noctua NT-H1 and Arctic MX4, using the cross pattern and rice grain methods. With no differences thermal results.

Now for the scary weirdness I’ve run across; Occasionally the Asus Q-Fan will appear to become stuck, and stop ramping up and down the fans according to the heat the CPU is putting out. This is only resolved with a hard reset. I also made sure the option to turn off the fans was never checked on each fan. I though this might be to do with Asus Aura causing problems? As I normally set the colours to change depending on the CPU temp.

Now the scary bit I ran across while I was trying to figure out a way to keep the CPU temperature in check during a prime95 test the motherboard shut off all the fans? None of them were spinning, the Noctua D15s Tower was really hot. Hwmonitor was showing 0RPM on all fans. The CPU was showing 92c But the computer was still fully responsive? I reset the computer and in the bios it showed 72c on the CPU and all the fans roared up to their max rpm and quickly lowered the CPU to 45c.

**Edit For Clarity: the fans were running properly then they stopped during the test**

I find this crazy, I cannot let a computer go out that is showing such problems.

But I’m at a loss as to what is causing this behaviour. Bad board? Glitchy Bios?

Looking for some insight.

If your fans aren't spinning, it's no surprise temps are high.

Which headers are each fan plugged into?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hello WoodenMarker,

Thank you for taking a moment to look at my problem.

It looks like I have not properly expressed the problem. The Fans were running, then they stopped.
The headers that fans are plugged into are: CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3

Are you running any other fan monitoring or control software?

Are you just using the motherboard bios settings or Asus' Windows program?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you running any other fan monitoring or control software?

Are you just using the motherboard bios settings or Asus' Windows program?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The monitoring software I've been using is HWmonitor. I have not been running any fan control software. The only Fan settings I've set are in Q-Fan in the Asus Bios. I have not loaded the AI suite III or any other software of that type. The install is fairly bare bones. just with the vendor drivers.

Try reseating the cpu and ram and making sure there isn't any dust or grime on the pins. I'd also revert to motherboard default settings. If the issue persists, I think the problem is the board and you should contact Asus or the seller for a replacement. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Try reseating the cpu and ram and making sure there isn't any dust or grime on the pins. I'd also revert to motherboard default settings. If the issue persists, I think the problem is the board and you should contact Asus or the seller for a replacement. 

Ok, Its worth a try.

Oddly enough the motherboard somehow detected I had re-seated the CPU, when I started it back up, it reported now CPU installed. Just thought it was odd. Checked the CPU socket, and memory slots for debris. Didn't see anything. Used a bit of canned air on them to blow them out.

Its idling in the BIOS at 48c which I still don't like, I think it should be lower with a Noctua D15s.

Have to put it through the Prime95 bench marks and see what it does.

Well after significant research, It appears the current 2703 latest firmware for the ROG Crosshair VII Hero has a glitch in it that can cause the fans to stop spinning. There is a modified bios in the wild that fix's the problem, but it is not a official bios from Asus. It goes by the number 0002. the 0002 is the 2703 + fan fix beta.

Gleened from:

https://wchan-asus-rog.test.edgekey.net/forum/showthread.php?112003-Latest-C7H-BIOS/page27&s=9dccbada3abc64806c6ed4d1801f3a6d

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104377-Crosshair-VII-Hero-PWM-Fan-Issue

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93421-AiO-Header-and-CPU-Fan-headers-shut-down

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1733304-agesa-fw-stack-patched-bioses-3rd-gen.html

Just in case other run into the same problems I have.