A i5 8400 bundle for 250$ Good or bad?

WDeveloper

Hi,

I'm planning to build my first gaming rig and basically I'm starting with just the CPU, motherboard, and the RAM. Actually, there is a local offer in my country for an i5 8400 + stock cooler + H310 Motherboard + 8GB 2400mhz of RAM for like 250$:

ASROCK H310M-DGS 
CPU INTEL CORE i5 8400  
DDR4 8G CRUCIAL PC2400

This offer will save like 20$ because the motherboard does not have an HDMI or D-Sub ports, which is not a problem for me.

I'm also considering an ATX12V/EPS12V 420W 80 PLUS power supply for like 35$, and since I have used case and an 240GB SSD  I'll use those to save some extra bucks.

The next month, I'll consider adding an RX570 or RX580 to the build.

Do you think this is fine or should I take another path?

Just now, WDeveloper said:

'm also considering an ATX12V/EPS12V 420W 80 PLUS power supply for like 35$, and since I have used case I'll use that to save some extra bucks.

um..... that is probably not a good PSU. what model and make is it?

1 minute ago, WDeveloper said:

Actually, there is a local offer in my country for an i5 8400 + stock cooler + H310 Motherboard + 8GB 2400mhz of RAM for like 250$:

its an ok bundle. tho the parts offered arent great. 

what country?

what budget?

1 minute ago, WDeveloper said:

The next month, I'll consider adding an RX570 or RX580 to the build.

Do you think this is fine or should I take another path?

depending on the budget, you are most likely better of waiting a month and get a good system along the lines of a 1600/2600 + B450 Pro4 + rx 570

No, it's not fine at all. In terms of prices the combo is not that bad, but usually h310 motherboards are to avoid at all costs. If you want to take the risk though, fine. But the worst thing is the psu. That thing is going to explode with a graphics card. From which country are you from?

7 minutes ago, WDeveloper said:

@GoldenLag Here is the product page: https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/hd420w.html

@EpimetheusWhy is this PSU so terrible? I'm from Algeria BTW.

For starters to low wattage..

only wbout 370w on the 12v rail 

420w unit? Garbage

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

it's really bad practice to cheap out on a psu, it's what keeps your components alive and if it fails you'll potentially have to throw in the trash your entire pc

Tbh id go ryzen.... Dont see a point for intel... U less ull stuff a 2080+ and huge monitor to catcj up a huge card... But ur going for 580....a ryzen 1200-3600 will all suit really good for ur 1080p super set up and even a rly good 1440p. Although my suggestion would be get atleast ryzen 1400+ for the threads in todays games, for the 1200 or other 4/4 will bottleneck ur card (like a battlefield game would as example) . U need a good psu till around 650 watts i guess bit lower would also do, dont cheap out on it. 16gb kit is also better if u wanna be in todays up to date although 8 gigs still holds rly well. Gl man whatever ur choice is its gonna br good in todays market. 

Oh and 420watt is super not adviced go 550watt at minimum if u want a game pc. And remember games love 3d cards not cpus. 

26 minutes ago, WDeveloper said:

there is a local offer in my country for an i5 8400 + stock cooler + H310 Motherboard + 8GB 2400mhz of RAM for like 250$:

ASROCK H310M-DGS 
CPU INTEL CORE i5 8400  
DDR4 8G CRUCIAL PC2400

what kind of bundle is it?? I believe that is 1 stock of ram...

the r5 2600 was the direct competitor 

image.png.67e52f2374788d09edc71796b9fa302b.png

18 minutes ago, WDeveloper said:

@GoldenLag Here is the product page: https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/hd420w.html

@EpimetheusWhy is this PSU so terrible? I'm from Algeria BTW.

i sadly cant find any info on wether its good or bad. id avoid it untill there is any confirmation on it. especially when it comes to low priced units. 

7 minutes ago, Goildzy said:

Oh and 420watt is super not adviced go 550watt at minimum if u want a game pc. And remember games love 3d cards not cpus. 

450w is fine. 400w is also fine. the wattage was never the issue. 550w is all you need for any gaming system config you would want. 

18 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

I mean, it's a 420w 80+ psu, if these aren't enough red flags

it could be a good PSU, but untill there are propper reviews on it. its wise to avoid it. 

32 minutes ago, WDeveloper said:

Here is the product

i checked on it... the protection list looks impressive, but because there are no reviews from what i can find, and that it doesn't supply full wattage on the 12v rail, I'd choose something else.

Thank you all guys for contribution.

I'll consider a better 500w PSU for sure.

Topic related? Goood build? No ryzen is better... Psu related.... Good pick? No u need 550watt or higher..... With an upcokin rx 570 or 580. Intel will underperfrom for your price level vs amd. All this psu bs....