3700x or 9700k for a gaming PC?

Mr.BT

I'm planning on building a PC, mostly gaming and sometimes for video playback.

I know 9700k would beat 3700x in gaming for now, but I want this PC to last at least 5 or 6 years, so not sure if games in the future would prefer more threads or 8c8t is enough like present?

I don't think I"m gonna overclock the CPU for most of the time, but I heard the 3700x wouldn't boost to it's promised freq without a decent 3-party cooler?

I have a GPU already and the price of 3700x+x570/9700k+z390 is quite close here, so this would not be too big an issue.

2 minutes ago, Mr.BT said:

I'm planning on building a PC, mostly gaming and sometimes for video playback.

I know 9700k would beat 3700x in gaming for now, but I want this PC to last at least 5 or 6 years, so not sure if games in the future would prefer more threads or 8c8t is enough like present?

I don't think I"m gonna overclock the CPU for most of the time, but I heard the 3700x wouldn't boost to it's promised freq without a decent 3-party cooler?

I have a GPU already and the price of 3700x+x570/9700k+z390 is quite close here, so this would not be too big an issue.

You could go with a locked i7 9700

You pay more for the 9700k for a very marginal gain. If we consider FPS/$ than 3700x is your best bet. And I too would advise you on 3700x just because personal preference.

3700x because it WILL be faster after 2-3 years.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

2 minutes ago, sahil_ravuri said:

I would prefer i7 9700k

What? Because you just like the name or...?

He wants to last 6 years not 2. And when you factor in the free cooler, the value tends to edge towards the 3700x. And the 9700k can't pull ahead significantly without a big air or watercooler that costs a fair bit. If you include a big expensive cooler, you get more performance, but the value is still beaten by the 3700x. And then there's the motherboard pricing. The new MAX motherboards mean good prices for B450 with Ryzen 3000 out of the box.

And then there's the 3600. Because the 9700k isn't really competing against the 3700x, it's actually secretly competing against the 3600. Why? Because the 3600 has multithreaded performance not too far away from the 9700k, while being $150 less. And the gaming performance while worse, isn't too far away either. The 3600 conquers the whole Intel stack other than the 9900k, which is dealt with by the 3700x and 3900x jointly.

57 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

What? Because you just like the name or...?

He wants to last 6 years not 2. And when you factor in the free cooler, the value tends to edge towards the 3700x. And the 9700k can't pull ahead significantly without a big air or watercooler that costs a fair bit. If you include a big expensive cooler, you get more performance, but the value is still beaten by the 3700x. And then there's the motherboard pricing. The new MAX motherboards mean good prices for B450 with Ryzen 3000 out of the box.

And then there's the 3600. Because the 9700k isn't really competing against the 3700x, it's actually secretly competing against the 3600. Why? Because the 3600 has multithreaded performance not too far away from the 9700k, while being $150 less. And the gaming performance while worse, isn't too far away either. The 3600 conquers the whole Intel stack other than the 9900k, which is dealt with by the 3700x and 3900x jointly.

So how does the stock cooler comes with 3700x perform? I hear some people say it's noisy with PBO enabled. Or for 3700x does it make a big difference between PBO on/stock?

3 hours ago, Mr.BT said:

So how does the stock cooler comes with 3700x perform? I hear some people say it's noisy with PBO enabled. Or for 3700x does it make a big difference between PBO on/stock?

It's not that noisy. When you're not gaming you won't hear it and when you are gaming it gets "louder" but unless you have your speakers or headphone on mute you won't be bothered by it.