My new 3900x based build

Organized

Hi guys,

in 2017, when I finished studying and started working, I wanted to buy a new computer as fast as possible off my freshly earned money. Back then, the first generation of Ryzen CPUs was more-or-less brandnew and as I always sympathized with AMD I wanted to go for a 1700x. However, saving some money for my new computer was harder than I thought and when I finally got enough money, Ryzen 2nd gen was announced. That's why I waited for the 2700x to get some of the extra performance. Shortly before the 2700x launched my (now) wife and I got engaged and that's why we needed to save money for the wedding and the wedding party. After the wedding I was pretty broke (worth it tbh :)) and when I finally got some money again Ryzen 3rd gen was announced. As it turned out about a month ago, it was the right decision to wait for this new generation, because of the huge IPC improvement and also the new lineup including the 12-core 3900x.

A few days ago I finally ordered the parts of my new computer! This is what I went for:

• AMD Ryzen 3900X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
  • EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming 8GB
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16 32GB (4x8GB)
  • Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 SSD
  • Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG USB-C
  • NZXT Kraken X62
  • Corsair RM650x

Why I chose these parts

The CPU is absolutely useless for me, because I don't do many CPU intensive work on my computer. But I wanted this build to be as future proof as possible, so that the main components (excluding GPU) will do a good job for a long time. My guess is, that workloads and games will be more and more optimized for higher thread counts and that's why I chose this CPU. Also, I have enough money to spend :) And maybe I someday will get a drone and do some video editing, too.

Picking the right mainboard was I think the hardest decision to make. On my vacation in croatia I read many X570 reviews and compared the huge amount of available boards. In a video about this board on Gamers Nexus it is compared to the only 10$ more expensive ROG Crosshair, and it was obvious that you should go for the Crosshair. However, the Crosshair is way more expensive than the X570-E here in Germany and I didn't want to spend over 400€ for a motherboard (even 330€ for the X570-E was more than I planned to spend). The X570-E has two ethernet ports (2.5Gb and 1Gb, maybe this is helpful in the future), Wifi 6/ax (which I don't need, but maybe in the future?), USB 3.2 Gen 2, Bluetooth 5, PCI-E 4.0 and a very good power delivery for the CPU. To be short, it has all the features I wanted, looks good and comes with good ASUS quality.

The graphics card was not an easy choice, too. As a friend (not a fanboy) of AMD I genuinely hoped that the 5700XT will have enough performance for my 1440p 144Hz monitor at good pricing and silent operation. The performance might be good, but the reference cards suck because of the blower style cooling. And as I already waited over 2 years for my new computer, I didn't want to wait any longer for the custom cards that will arrive in the next week or two. nVidia's RTX 2070 Super offers almost-2080 performance for a reasonable pricing. I chose the EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming 8GB because of this crazy thick cooler (it's a 3 slot card, I didn't even know this existed) and it's silent operation (I hope). Also, I wanted to have VR-Link, which not all RTX 2070 Super cards have. At 604€ I paid some premium over some other 2070 Super models, but I trust in EVGA's quality and maybe a good pick in silicon lottery as it is the XC Ultra model.

RAM was pretty easy - the Trident Z Neo's look awesome and as RAM prices went a bit down (compared to 1 or 2 years ago) I went directly for the 32GB kit.

SSD was also pretty easy. The MP510 offers great performance for a very good price (~150€). 960GB is all I need because I have a NAS for mass storage.

For the case I watched many reviews. I definately wanted a USB-C port on the front, because as I mentioned earlier, this build has to be future proof. The Define R6 looks great and offers a good compromise between temperatures and noise damping as stated in Gamers Nexus' review of this case.

The CPU cooler was also an easy one - good performance, even better looks, 5 year warranty.

I didn't think too much over the power supply. The 650 watts should even be enough when I upgrade the GPU in the future, and also it offers passive cooling when temperatures allow it.

The flipside

In germany there is currently not a single shop which has the 3900X in stock. In about 2 weeks this baby should be here which is useless because the Trident Z Neo is also not in stock anywhere. It will be delivered in about 3 weeks :(

Until then, I will have to use my notebook, because my old PC is already sold to a friend. Oh boy, I didn't know my notebook is so slow, even 1440p videos on YouTube are stuttering :(

What do you think of the components that I went for? When all parts are here, I will post some pictures of my build :)

Bye,

Andy

Well, I can't wait any longer for my new PC :) That's why I switched from the Trident Z Neo's to Trident Z RGB's (3600MHz CL17-18-18-39 - should be Samsung B-dies). It's an absolute pain in the ass to order RAM right now in germany, but now I got two pairs of 2x8GB kits.

Hi there :)

looks like a very very nice (and long awaited) build !! :D

Cant wait for you to post some pictures.

I am currently running a 2016 setup, with a 1070 which I definitely want to keep. I dont need more GPU horsepower.

However, I started making music alot and the 6600k is showing its lack of Hyperthreading there.

Id be very interested in your thoughts about:

- 3900x general performance and temperature

- x570 chipset fan

Im still torn between saving some money and going for B450+3600, or going x570 with a 3700x or 3900x. Id appreciate your thoughts, if you wanna chat about these things :) I dont want to be annoying though and "overtake" this post of yours with my own buying decision making.

Liebe Grüße aus Wien :)

18 hours ago, Organized said:

Well, I can't wait any longer for my new PC :) That's why I switched from the Trident Z Neo's to Trident Z RGB's (3600MHz CL17-18-18-39 - should be Samsung B-dies). It's an absolute pain in the ass to order RAM right now in germany, but now I got two pairs of 2x8GB kits.

I'm sorry to say but samsung B-dies has straight timings aka 16-16-16-36 ?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

@DoctorNick According to this list on reddit and this list on hardwareluxx.de the F4-3600C17D-16GTZR should be 8Gb Samsung B-Dies. But I will report here as soon as I got the parts :) 

@Chris V The chipset fan is the only thing that annoys me about that build, but actually I think it won't be as bad as everyone thinks it is.

14 hours ago, Organized said:

@DoctorNick According to this list on reddit and this list on hardwareluxx.de the F4-3600C17D-16GTZR should be 8Gb Samsung B-Dies. But I will report here as soon as I got the parts :) 

@Chris V The chipset fan is the only thing that annoys me about that build, but actually I think it won't be as bad as everyone thinks it is.

yeah Ive read online, that most peoples' experience is that its never actually running, so I wouldnt worry bout it too much. I think Ill go for X570 and 3900x as well. As Ive seen, temps should be at max around 80ish 85ish under heavy loads. Whats tempting about the 3700x in contrast, is its low power draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys, I got this system now for around 2 weeks and I'm absolutely happy with it. ?

First of all: I never actually heard the motherboard fan. I made the right decision to stick with X570 instead of X470.

The CPU is an absolute monster. With the per-CCD overclock I'm now at 4400 / 4350 / 4325 / 4275 MHz @ 1,325V. On AIDA64 stress test the temperature maxes out at 86°C (ambient 26°C). This leads to crazy results in Cinebench:

• Cinebench R15: 3375 / 205 points
  • Cinebench R20: 7648 / 510 points

Also I tightened up my RAM timings. The G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C17D-16GTZR are actually equipped with Samsung b-dies. My main problem was, that the Ryzen DRAM Calculator read incorrect XMP timings and therefore calculated timings that are never going to work on my RAM. The trick is to export the readout from Taiphoon and then import it in the calculator. Voila, timings that actually work :) After doing some optimization I now have a stable memory OC.

NEU01.png.0aaa8160f73b7353a5a39feb82cb5bd7.png

The motherboard BIOS (AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB) is still pretty buggy. Setting a manual CPU voltage doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do, I was only able to set it manually using Ryzen Master.

The graphics card performs really well but has extreme noise whine :( OC potential is not that well, I'm now stable at +110MHz core / +800MHz memory - in game this leads to a little bit more than 2000MHz on the core.

Time Spy results are:

• Overall: 11211
  • Graphics: 10873
  • CPU: 13616

Which takes me into the top 7% of all submitted results :) 

I'm now waiting for an Alpenföhn 140mm ARGB fan which can be directly plugged onto the ARGB-header of my motherboard. I'm actually shocked that every well-known RGB fan needs an extra controller :( Unfortunately the Alpenföhn is not available yet. When it's mounted in my computer, I will post some photos :)