9600K CPU solder reliability/prefomrance

Hi All,

I want to buy a 9600K for my gaming PC, but I have been somewhat concerned about the CPU solder reliability for some time after reading this article: https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/ . I know it's an old one, but it's still physics and the die size is smaller than Ryzen, so the latter may be less susseptible to that kind of damage. I may be over exagerating, but as I intend to use it for 4+ years I want to know the opinion of more knowledgable and experienced people.

What do you think? Is it a valid concern and I should get a 8600K with thermal paste? I would like the clock speeds of the 9600K though and I do not want to delid. Or maybe get a 9700 non-K and also forget about it entirely?

PS. I do not intend to overclock, maybe after 3 years, but I will see how it performs, but that's unlikely as I want to play only on 60 fps.

most older CPUs were soldered, the 9700 comes with a cooler, if thats what you are looking for

I've never had an issue with the CPU dying early or getting worse thermal results over time with normal maintenance 

15 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

most older CPUs were soldered, the 9700 comes with a cooler, if thats what you are looking for

I've never had an issue with the CPU dying early or getting worse thermal results over time with normal maintenance 

I intend to use an aftermarket cooler from the start (Dark Rock Slim), I just wanted to avoid the solder cracking problem (as only th K versions use it), or maybe to just get some peace of mind when I use a CPU with it, since the dies are smaller that those on older CPUs.

What do you mean by normal maintenance? Thermal paste replacement and not getting it to heat up too much?

1 minute ago, Sharpman85 said:

I intend to use an aftermarket cooler from the start (Dark Rock Slim), I just wanted to avoid the solder cracking problem, or maybe to just get some peace of mind when I use a CPU with it, since the dies are smaller that those on older CPUs.

What do you mean by normal maintenance? Thermal paste replacement and not getting it to heat up too much?

mostly just cleaning (both physically and software wise) most PCs are fine for 4-5 years before needing a repaste

I'd still go 9600k (but if the 8600k is on sale for a great price) as it has slightly higher clocks. that is if you are wanting intel

consider Ryzen 2000 or 3000 as they are a very compelling buy

9 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

mostly just cleaning (both physically and software wise) most PCs are fine for 4-5 years before needing a repaste

I'd still go 9600k (but if the 8600k is on sale for a great price) as it has slightly higher clocks. that is if you are wanting intel

consider Ryzen 2000 or 3000 as they are a very compelling buy

I've already thought about it and the ITX motherboards I was aiming at split the GPU PICe bandwidth  with the NVMe SSD and the X570 has a chipset fan, and that's even more concerning that the STIM, so AMD is out of the question for me. What is more intereseting, Zen 2 costs almost the same as Intel 9th gen in Poland and since I want it only for gaming I will go with it. Besides, high end motherboards have USB type-C, which is still rare on not present for AMD of this form factor.

for 60 fps? you won't even be coming close to saturating the PCIe gen 3 links, you can go with b450 or x470

ryzen 3000 has 16 lanes for the GPU and 4 for NVMe in addition to the 4 lanes for the chipset if you pair with an x570

coffee lake doesn't have dedicated lanes (for NVMe), and it shares the DMI (which is also a 4 lane link) with networking, audio, SATA, etc...

9 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

I've already thought about it and the ITX motherboards I was aiming at split the GPU PICe bandwidth  with the NVMe SSD and the X570 has a chipset fan, and that's even more concerning that the STIM, so AMD is out of the question for me. What is more intereseting, Zen 2 costs almost the same as Intel 9th gen in Poland and since I want it only for gaming I will go with it. Besides, high end motherboards have USB type-C, which is still rare on not present for AMD of this form factor.

23 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

56for 60 fps? you won't even be coming close to saturating the PCIe gen 3 links, you can go with b450 or x470

ryzen 3000 has 16 lanes for the GPU and 4 for NVMe in addition to the 4 lanes for the chipset if you pair with an x570

coffee lake doesn't have dedicated lanes (for NVMe), and it shares the DMI (which is also a 4 lane link) with networking, audio, SATA, etc...

X570 is out of the question due to active cooling which is the first point of failure for me, if those fans were replacable then OK, but all of the seem proprietary.

I intego to go 60 fps for now, but may be upgrading to 1440p or 4K at some point so that would be a bottleneck when I want to go wih two SSDs and I prefer the bottleneck to be on the chipset side than on the GPU side and I woun't be using such fast drives as Samsung.

I was looking at ASUS ROG Strix X470-i and B450-I, but both share bandwisth with the GPU if the rear drive is used. Had it not been for that I would have had a 2600X with the B450-i..

Currently I'm looking at the Z390-i with 9600K as it does not limit the GPU and has an internal USB Gen 2 type C.

PS. Now you have me thinking whether I really should go for B450-i and the GPU limited...

x470 uses the chipset bandwidth for the m.2 drive or uses the 4 dedicated ones off the CPU, none share the CPU's GPU allocation

one slot will be connected to the CPU and one the chipset

at current price points, i'd go r5 2600x and b450 over the 9600k any day of the week

16 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

X570 is out of the question due to active cooling which is the first point of failure for me, if those fans were replacable then OK, but all of the seem proprietary.

I intego to go 60 fps for now, but may be upgrading to 1440p or 4K at some point so that would be a bottleneck when I want to go wih two SSDs and I prefer the bottleneck to be on the chipset side than on the GPU side and I woun't be using such fast drives as Samsung.

I was looking at ASUS ROG Strix X470-i and B450-I, but both share bandwisth with the GPU if the rear drive is used. Had it not been for that I would have had a 2600X with the B450-i..

Currently I'm looking at the Z390-i with 9600K as it does not limit the GPU and has an internal USB Gen 2 type C.

PS. Now you have me thinking whether I really should go for B450-i and the GPU limited...

16 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

x470 uses the chipset bandwidth for the m.2 drive or uses the 4 dedicated ones off the CPU, none share the CPU's GPU allocation

one slot will be connected to the CPU and one the chipset

at current price points, i'd go r5 2600x and b450 over the 9600k any day of the week

That is not the case for both Asus motherboards, they share lanes with the GPU if M2_2 slot is used:

image.png.bed6344ddb895348926ad5539a6d2fa9.png

Had it not been like that I would have gone with the B450, but since I'm getting a case with a USB type C gen 2 it's even an easier choice to go with Intel at this point. Thanks for the help.

7 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

That is not the case for both Asus motherboards, they share lanes with the GPU if M2_2 slot is used:

wonder why

AMD ryzen cpus have 24 lanes, 

1*16 for the GPU

1*4 for the chipset

and 1*4 for NVME (AMD made a big fuss over this part)

they might have done it for VROC support, or that the 4 lanes to the chipset (that were only gen 2 for a while)  could have been slower? or it co0uld just be an error.

17 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

wonder why

AMD ryzen cpus have 24 lanes, 

1*16 for the GPU

1*4 for the chipset

and 1*4 for NVME (AMD made a big fuss over this part)

they might have done it for VROC support, or that the 4 lanes to the chipset (that were only gen 2 for a while)  could have been slower? or it co0uld just be an error.

That sums up, 16 are for the GPU, 4 are for the front SSD, 4 for the chipset and they needed to take the 4 for the other SSD.

14 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

That sums up, 16 are for the GPU, 4 are for the front SSD, 4 for the chipset and they needed to take the 4 for the other SSD. 

the rear SSD is supposed to be from the chipset, same as SATA ports

10 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

the rear SSD is supposed to be from the chipset, same as SATA ports

Not according to the manual. 

image.png.476879fc202e75bb1062dbf3db10b70a.png

8 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

Not according to the manual. 

image.png.476879fc202e75bb1062dbf3db10b70a.png

yep I see that, looks like Asus decided toy deviate from standard

14 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

yep I see that, looks like Asus decided toy deviate from standard

I think that's the only itx motherboard with double m.2 drives so there may have been other reasons.