RX 480 underperforming?

SoulsOfBlack

Hi everyone, i recently had to "upgrade" to an RX 480 4GB, from a GTX 970 that died after a power outage. The thing is, i noticed that the performance is somewhat bad, compared to my old gtx 970 (stock clocks, no OC) on games, like stuttering and low fps (in somes games, if i alt+tab, the fps go back to normal). Temps are on the 66c range for all the GPU components. No Radeon Chill, no power saving features on. Synthetic benchmark scores are what is expected from the RX 480 (getting close to 8400 passmark points). Core clock is at 1276 MHz and Memory clock is at 1800MHz. No thermal throttling or such. Drivers are the latest beta, CPU is a Core i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz, with 2x4 1600mhz ddr3 ram, on Windows 10 LTSC.

33 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

did you ddu?

Yes, but it seems after installing some visual c++ redistributables and disabling vsync on Radeon Settings, the low performance is gone. More testing needs to be done, but seems pretty ok so far! I'll try the stable drivers and see whats going on

The 480 has performance that is a little worse than the 1060, and the 970 has performance around equal to a 1060, so it could be that or you could also just be playing games that run better on nvidia cards.

Edit: Didnt read your second comment before, dont know what the problem is/was.

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x  Cooler: Wraith Prism    RAM: 32gb G.Skill Tridentz RGB 3200mhz     Mobo: Asrock X570 Taichi

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700 XT     Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG     PSU: Corsair RM850x     

Storage: 250gb Samsung 960 EVO, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

HTPC/VR Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600     Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a     RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200mhz     Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ITX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8gb     Case: Fractal Design Node 202     PSU: Corsair SF600    

Storage: 120gb Kingston A400, 500gb Samsung 860 EVO

Streaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4ghz OC     Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition    RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengence LPX 2400mhz     Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 MATX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 4gb     Case: Inwin 301 White/Blue     PSU: Evga 450BR    

Storage: 240gb Crucial BX500, 1TB Seagate Barracuda