Suggestions for replacement graphics card

alphawhisky

I came back from a couple of weeks travelling to find my PC acting up - screens would blank out and computer would randomly restart. I was going to register here and post for ideas for troubleshooting, but then it failed altogether. I switched to the built-in graphics and now have a working system (single screen... killing me!)   I'm about to head off on another work trip but will need to sort a new graphics card when I'm back.   And, I really don't know where to start! 

My current spec is:

• i7 6700 CPU
  • 16GB RAM 
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Dead graphics card was a NVidia GTX950

If it wasn't already readily apparent, I'm not much of a gamer - just casual gaming now and then.  My system is almost entirely work based (photo editing, graphic design, etc.)   The challenge I've found in gaming is that I have 2 x 4k screens for work space, and I don't want to drop a fortune on a graphics card for the occasional game of Rocket League, Squad, etc.  So I'm here for ideas and suggestions!  My random thoughts are:

• The PC itself is now 3 years old and I'm wondering whether I get a new GFX card or just replace the whole system (wasn't intending on replacing it for another year or so as, other than this issue, it is still quite speedy for work)
  • I know new Nvidia cards are coming soon which will impact pricing - happy to wait off to get something (not sure if there's likely to be any cards in the Amazon Prime day sale?)
  • Also aware that AMD cards offer benefits in terms of cost v performance.

So, yeah, don't really know where to start.  I'd probably be looking at spending around £100 - £300 (probably equivalent to US $100 - $300 with our rip-off prices in the UK!)  Hope I've posted in the right place, look forward to any suggestions. 

RX 580's can be had for fairly cheap now. They'll run the occasional game perfectly fine with a 6700. Though, you won't be looking at playing the games at 4K, you'll probably have to drop them down to 1080p.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Thanks Slottr, appreciate the comment. Realise 4k gaming is out of my price range (and, to be honest, it'd be such a monumental waste of money... I forgot to mention that I'm not very good at gaming anyway!) 

Would something like this be a good shout? https://www.ebuyer.com/881376-asrock-phantom-gaming-d-radeon-rx-580-8gb-oc-gddr5-graphics-card-90-ga0m00-00uanf 

(ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 580 8GB OC GDDR5 Graphics Card)

Do you think prices will drop substantially in the next couple of weeks with the new Nvidia cards hitting the market? 

Thanks again!

Andy  

that looks good to me. I don't think prices will be dropping much, at least with the 580, because most of the new Nvidia cards aren't really competing at this price range, (they are higher end cards )