M.2 Nvme recognized as local drive but it boots to freecom

I recently upgraded my CPU to ryzen 5 2600, motherboard to Asrock B450m pro4 and RAM to DDR4. Alongside I purchased A Kingston A1000 240Gb M.2 Nvme Drive. After now weeks of no success I believe I'm really close now.

If I boot off my HDD and go to File explorer they both show as local drives.
If I Boot from the M.2 it boots to freeCOM.

So if I've understood correctly I just need make the M.2 bootable and it should work... so how do I?

Can you explain what you mean by freeCOM, I've never heard that before in relation to a hard drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

well it boots to freeCOM 0.84, might actually be called FreeDOS, not sure

Have you tried unplugging the HDD and doing this?

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Have you tried unplugging the HDD and doing this?

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Oh yea, multiple times. This I believe is the closest I've gotten since it actually shows all the files for windows 10 but for some reason the system seems to treat it as if there isn't a windows 10 install on it.

9 minutes ago, The Finninja said:

Oh yea, multiple times. This I believe is the closest I've gotten since it actually shows all the files for windows 10 but for some reason the system seems to treat it as if there isn't a windows 10 install on it.

Can you explain how you're installing Windows, using a disc or USB drive? If USB how did you make it? Is your computer booting in Legacy mode or UEFI mode?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Can you explain how you're installing Windows, using a disc or USB drive? If USB how did you make it? Is your computer booting in Legacy mode or UEFI mode?

I'm using USB which I made via the software you van download straight from Microsoft website, I believe its called a mediacreationtool or something along those lines. About the boot Mode I'm not 100% sure but it should be UEFI. (I would like to know how to check) 

Just now, The Finninja said:

I'm using USB which I made via the software you van download straight from Microsoft website, I believe its called a mediacreationtool or something along those lines. About the boot Mode I'm not 100% sure but it should be UEFI. (I would like to know how to check) 

Sure, head into your UEFI and find an option called CSM or Compatibility Support Module (on Asus or Gigabyte boards) and disable it. If your board is MSI the option is called Windows 8/10 Mode and it should be enabled. Why MSI chose to confuse everyone with a different name is beyond me.

Once that's done I'd strongly suggest you shut down and unplug all other hard drives temporarily, this is optional but makes things way easier.

Insert the USB, power on, mash F8 until the boot menu appears, select the USB drive, boot to Windows setup, during partitioning delete everything (don't delete everything if you have other drives connected, only on the M.2 drive) and click next (Windows will partition the drive itself) and after install is finished it should reboot into Windows 10.

Just now, The Finninja said:

Oh and I've had a guy Who knows More about these things try using a DVD but that didn't work. I think he said that there was driver issue which he could've remedied using the disk that came with the Motherboard. Now at home I've used said disk and gotten to this point. 

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Sure, head into your UEFI and find an option called CSM or Compatibility Support Module (on Asus or Gigabyte boards) and disable it. If your board is MSI the option is called Windows 8/10 Mode and it should be enabled. Why MSI chose to confuse everyone with a different name is beyond me.

Once that's done I'd strongly suggest you shut down and unplug all other hard drives temporarily, this is optional but makes things way easier.

Insert the USB, power on, mash F8 until the boot menu appears, select the USB drive, boot to Windows setup, during partitioning delete everything (don't delete everything if you have other drives connected, only on the M.2 drive) and click next (Windows will partition the drive itself) and after install is finished it should reboot into Windows 10.

OK yeah, I've tried that a couple of times but For the sake of trying I'll try that, again... See if it works this time. 

No positive change, as its done previously: 

Upon rebooting it just tries to restart the installation process and now when checking uefi the m.2 no longer shows up

• 1 month later...

Was the Kingston A1000 240Gb M.2 Nvme drive on the Asrock qualified vendors list (QVL) of supported devices?

Check your manual to see if perhaps the video card (or something else) is taking up the PCIe lane before the M.2 drive. Also, there may be some procession of plugging things in to activate booting from the M.2 slot, as I had to do when upgrading my RAM from 16 to 32 GB capacity to get it visible to the BIOS (dual-channel mode).

For example, "...4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*...[where the]...*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled."

As I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to AMD, is the CPU, the Ryzen 5 2600 a Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge unit?

Because "...Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU)**...[as only they seem to]...**Support NVMe SSD as boot disks"

Link

ASRock specifications tab for the B450M Pro4

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).