Statistics Around Brand Reliability....

I am looking at putting together a couple of workstations, and small network, including a small rendering/premiere/video editing solution pipeline. 

What i can't seem to find is any statistics that talk about reliability. 

Ideally i would like to get a feel at least for the quality of components say a company like dell is using in their 'business' workstations(motherboard, drive, cpu, gpu failure rates) vs building yourself with even gaming motherboards, or MSI, ASUS's motherboard workstation solutions, etc.   Some chart somewhere that lists numbers etc. So far i can only find motherboard reliability numbers, and even then that is only going to compare with other big manufacturer(assembling) companies.

Right now i believe the components in most 'business' machines seem if anything sub-par and in my personal experience I have built my own machines for years, including for work(heaving graphics, compiling, cpu, drive, and network pounding).   In fact since 2001 I have been building my own home machines, and personally built over 25 machines for workstations for places I have worked, including two startups, and helped build the first original systems in both cases. And not a single one of those machines ever had any components fail, maybe a drive i am forgetting, but certainly never a cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram, etc all ran perfectly.  And way fast and cheaper than the business solutions from Dell both those companies eventually started using.

I can see perhaps needing to make sure your switches, and servers are using systems built by people who really know their s--t. and where building a good networked server solution is better done by companies with proven and known quality, and also where you know you can easily get replacement systems that slide in with no integration issues in the same day, in case of a switch failure etc.  Avoiding downtime for the entire company.   

But in the case of blade cpu workhorse machines, or artist workstation it has been my experience that Dell, and other smaller companies do not offer anything you can't get for 1/3 the price, and still beat them on every statistic, reliability, cpu/gpu benchmarks, network speed, etc.  

I have been pricing 'business' systems(workstations) from Dell,etc and if you put the components together the total system is worth 3 maybe 3.5k, but they sell each for 14k or higher. And I could put together a system with far better benchmarks, and say with a 10g network, or 2x10g vs manytimes the 1g they include, etc, and  all for 2k.  But if i spent 3-5k I could build machines that absolutely destroy that Dell workstation, or other dedicated 'business' solution vendors.  So why in the hell, unless you have endless money to burn, or you get so big that it just becomes not worth it to build the machines yourself eventually, let yourself pay that kind of overhead for less machine?

I just want to make sure that I am not fooling myself, by hopefully seeing any real statistics I can find.

I know there are some stats i hear out there, like 2-3% of hardrives will fail every year, i heard that on a Linus Tech Tips video actually, but that seems way way higher than my experience again in personal builds.   So to me it would be so enlightening to see statistics of reliability for instance, between Dell components, and say MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte/etc.  Regarding replacement for workstations, if I buy 10 machines, and add another 2 spares purely for parts, I would still come out far far ahead, and instead of same day part replacement, i could have it in under ten minutes from the storage closet.. ;)

I am insane right? 

Please me I am clearly not seeing it correctly, otherwise more people would not be getting all their machines from Dell, etc?  So I can just go back to sleep and pretend that Dell's 14k machine that anyone reading this could likely build with better specs in 1-2 hours for 4k.

Tell me I am crazy, hopefully with some stats that will clearly show me where that money goes, and not just into Dell's shareholder's pockets. or their christmas dividends.

Sorry if there is a post that covers this somewhere, I did do a search first and could not find anything other similar topics/threads so hopefully this isn't redundant, or if it is hopefully 

19 minutes ago, Empyreal-istic said:

I am looking at putting together a couple of workstations, and small network, including a small rendering/premiere/video editing solution pipeline. 

What i can't seem to find is any statistics that talk about reliability. 

Ideally i would like to get a feel at least for the quality of components say a company like dell is using in their 'business' workstations(motherboard, drive, cpu, gpu failure rates) vs building yourself with even gaming motherboards, or MSI, ASUS's motherboard workstation solutions, etc.   Some chart somewhere that lists numbers etc. So far i can only find motherboard reliability numbers, and even then that is only going to compare with other big manufacturer(assembling) companies.

Right now i believe the components in most 'business' machines seem if anything sub-par and in my personal experience I have built my own machines for years, including for work(heaving graphics, compiling, cpu, drive, and network pounding).   In fact since 2001 I have been building my own home machines, and personally built over 25 machines for workstations for places I have worked, including two startups, and helped build the first original systems in both cases. And not a single one of those machines ever had any components fail, maybe a drive i am forgetting, but certainly never a cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram, etc all ran perfectly.  And way fast and cheaper than the business solutions from Dell both those companies eventually started using.

I can see perhaps needing to make sure your switches, and servers are using systems built by people who really know their s--t. and where building a good networked server solution is better done by companies with proven and known quality, and also where you know you can easily get replacement systems that slide in with no integration issues in the same day, in case of a switch failure etc.  Avoiding downtime for the entire company.   

But in the case of blade cpu workhorse machines, or artist workstation it has been my experience that Dell, and other smaller companies do not offer anything you can't get for 1/3 the price, and still beat them on every statistic, reliability, cpu/gpu benchmarks, network speed, etc.  

I have been pricing 'business' systems(workstations) from Dell,etc and if you put the components together the total system is worth 3 maybe 3.5k, but they sell each for 14k or higher. And I could put together a system with far better benchmarks, and say with a 10g network, or 2x10g vs manytimes the 1g they include, etc, and  all for 2k.  But if i spent 3-5k I could build machines that absolutely destroy that Dell workstation, or other dedicated 'business' solution vendors.  So why in the hell, unless you have endless money to burn, or you get so big that it just becomes not worth it to build the machines yourself eventually, let yourself pay that kind of overhead for less machine?

I just want to make sure that I am not fooling myself, by hopefully seeing any real statistics I can find.

I know there are some stats i hear out there, like 2-3% of hardrives will fail every year, i heard that on a Linus Tech Tips video actually, but that seems way way higher than my experience again in personal builds.   So to me it would be so enlightening to see statistics of reliability for instance, between Dell components, and say MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte/etc.  Regarding replacement for workstations, if I buy 10 machines, and add another 2 spares purely for parts, I would still come out far far ahead, and instead of same day part replacement, i could have it in under ten minutes from the storage closet.. ;)

I am insane right? 

Please me I am clearly not seeing it correctly, otherwise more people would not be getting all their machines from Dell, etc?  So I can just go back to sleep and pretend that Dell's 14k machine that anyone reading this could likely build with better specs in 1-2 hours for 4k.

Tell me I am crazy, hopefully with some stats that will clearly show me where that money goes, and not just into Dell's shareholder's pockets. or their christmas dividends.

Sorry if there is a post that covers this somewhere, I did do a search first and could not find anything other similar topics/threads so hopefully this isn't redundant, or if it is hopefully 

Thats all you need, those guys assemble and test all new hardware and gather reports of reliability, LTT even did a video about them

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2018-1322/

when you buy business pre build from some oem, then you get next day on site repair, which is nice, when you don't care, or can't repai them on your own, also you can call support and they will do everything for you.