0x80073701 Windows Linux subsystem

Ooop

I get the error 0x80073701 Could not reference assembly whenever I try to install the WLSS via UI or PowerShell. I have ran sfc /scannow in command prompt as admin and it came up clean. I tried using DISM to repair but got error 0x890f081f could not find source files. Upon trying to fix this as well I ran into the issue so I couldn’t fix it. I’m on the latest version of Windows 10. I’ve tried to use Windows media to upgrade though and that said it couldn’t be done (presumably because I’m on the latest version). Others have suggested the only thing I can do is install Windows 10 again but that’s really not an option that I would like to take. I spent around 15 hours yesterday no exaggeration trying to diagnose this problem. Please if anyone could help at all I don’t know what to do.

14 minutes ago, Ooop said:

I get the error 0x80073701 Could not reference assembly whenever I try to install the WLSS via UI or PowerShell. I have ran sfc /scannow in command prompt as admin and it came up clean. I tried using DISM to repair but got error 0x890f081f could not find source files. Upon trying to fix this as well I ran into the issue so I couldn’t fix it. I’m on the latest version of Windows 10. I’ve tried to use Windows media to upgrade though and that said it couldn’t be done (presumably because I’m on the latest version). Others have suggested the only thing I can do is install Windows 10 again but that’s really not an option that I would like to take. I spent around 15 hours yesterday no exaggeration trying to diagnose this problem. Please if anyone could help at all I don’t know what to do.

What build version of Windows 10 do you have on your system right now?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

24 minutes ago, Ooop said:

Did some Googling, looks like this is a known bug. Out of 24 comments nobody has a cause or solution.

One person claims updating to the latest build solved his problem but others say they're already on the latest build and still have the problem.

Could you please press Windows Key & R, type Winver, hit enter and post a screenshot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Did some Googling, looks like this is a known bug. Out of 24 comments nobody has a cause or solution.

One person claims updating to the latest build solved his problem but others say they're already on the latest build and still have the problem.

Could you please press Windows Key & R, type Winver, hit enter and post a screenshot.

My version is 1803 Build 17134.799. I already discussed this with kirashi before they went to bed. I apparently am not on the latest version. I have tried to update via settings and via in place upgrade using the media creation tool, one said I was on the latest version the media creation tool said it couldn’t update me for some reason. I also did some googling ?  and also found that no one at all has a solution.

10 minutes ago, Ooop said:

My version is 1803 Build 17134.799. I already discussed this with kirashi before they went to bed. I apparently am not on the latest version. I have tried to update via settings and via in place upgrade using the media creation tool, one said I was on the latest version the media creation tool said it couldn’t update me for some reason. I also did some googling ?  and also found that no one at all has a solution.

Try to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Try to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant

Oh.. so the update assistant download is in grey right above the Windows media tool and is evidently not the same thing. Thanks I’ll try that.

46 minutes ago, Ooop said:

Oh.. so the update assistant download is in grey right above the Windows media tool and is evidently not the same thing. Thanks I’ll try that.

Your PC has a driver or service that isn’t ready for this version of Windows 10. Sigh time to try and fix this too

1st: i5 8600K@5GHz  (5400MHz max) - DRP3 - Kingston HyperX Fury AFR 2400 CL15 16GB 1.2v @ 3333MHz CL16-17-17-30-300 1.4v
Asus PRIME Z370-A - 960 EVO NVMe 250GB + M.2 860 Evo 250GB + 850 Evo

Vega 56 @ Vega 64LC mod (corsair h110i gtx) + AOC G2460PF 144Hz G-Sync - Corsair RM750x - Logitech G903 - G533 - Ducky One2mini

2nd: i7 7700K@5GHz 1.375v - 120mm AIO - Kingston HyperX @ 3066MHz CL15 1T - Asus GTX 1070 08G - SanDisk II Extreme 240GB - Asus VG248Q 144Hz

MSI mITX Z270 Pro Carbon Gaming AC - Corsair TX650

```

For this reason, there is an update hold on computers from receiving the Windows10, version 1903 when this is detected. ... To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.May 22, 2019

1st: i5 8600K@5GHz  (5400MHz max) - DRP3 - Kingston HyperX Fury AFR 2400 CL15 16GB 1.2v @ 3333MHz CL16-17-17-30-300 1.4v
Asus PRIME Z370-A - 960 EVO NVMe 250GB + M.2 860 Evo 250GB + 850 Evo

Vega 56 @ Vega 64LC mod (corsair h110i gtx) + AOC G2460PF 144Hz G-Sync - Corsair RM750x - Logitech G903 - G533 - Ducky One2mini

2nd: i7 7700K@5GHz 1.375v - 120mm AIO - Kingston HyperX @ 3066MHz CL15 1T - Asus GTX 1070 08G - SanDisk II Extreme 240GB - Asus VG248Q 144Hz

MSI mITX Z270 Pro Carbon Gaming AC - Corsair TX650

1 minute ago, skillz said:

```

For this reason, there is an update hold on computers from receiving the Windows10, version 1903 when this is detected. ... To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.May 22, 2019

already reached this conclusion but yeah I can’t update. need to fix this error another way ahhhhhh

The error from WSL says that it can't find needed files. So either something is blocking it, or something deleted or corrupted system files.

Let's assume something is blocking it:

For WSL, make sure  the following services:

• "Windows Update" is set to Manual or Automatic and can start successfully.
  • "Windows Update Medic Service" (this service may not exist depending on the version of Windows) is set to Manual to Automatic, and can start successfully.
  • "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is set to Manual or Automatic and can start successfully.
  • "Windows Modules Installer" is set to Automatic and running.
  • "Cryptographic Services" is set to Automatic and running.

Then, if you use any security software beside Windows Defender, uninstall them and restart the system. They may be responsible for blocking the installation of WSL. Once WSL is installed, you can install your security software back again.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:20 AM, GoodBytes said:

The error from WSL says that it can't find needed files. So either something is blocking it, or something deleted or corrupted system files.

Let's assume something is blocking it:

For WSL, make sure  the following services:

• "Windows Update" is set to Manual or Automatic and can start successfully.
  • "Windows Update Medic Service" (this service may not exist depending on the version of Windows) is set to Manual to Automatic, and can start successfully.
  • "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is set to Manual or Automatic and can start successfully.
  • "Windows Modules Installer" is set to Automatic and running.
  • "Cryptographic Services" is set to Automatic and running.

Then, if you use any security software beside Windows Defender, uninstall them and restart the system. They may be responsible for blocking the installation of WSL. Once WSL is installed, you can install your security software back again.

I did all this stuff. Alas it still would not work. So if you cannot update because of the new May intel drivers bug I believe that’s the only option besides reinstalling windows. I opted for a Ubuntu VM, not ideal and can’t keep it running most of the time but it’s whatever.