Need to reboot router to get full speed on wired computer [SOLVED]

shoutingsteve
Go to solution Solved by shoutingsteve,

UPDATE 2:

needed a new shielded Ethernet cable.  It defaulted to gigabit the moment i plugged it in.

I searched around the forum, but nobody is having the issue I am.  I bought new router a few months back, and the transfer speeds were about 100-120 MB/second over my wired connection between my FreeNAS box and my computer.  Then suddenly one day they dropped to about 9-10 per second.  I thought it was very odd and so I rebooted all three units (router, NASbox and computer) and everything was fine.but then after a while (hours, not days) everything was slow again.  I have found out that I only have to reboot my router to return the speeds to normal, so I expect that it must be a setting in my router (especially since I never had this problem with my old router).

Any idea of what I should be looking around in the settings for?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 hour ago, shoutingsteve said:

I searched around the forum, but nobody is having the issue I am.  I bought new router a few months back, and the transfer speeds were about 100-120 MB/second over my wired connection between my FreeNAS box and my computer.  Then suddenly one day they dropped to about 9-10 per second.  I thought it was very odd and so I rebooted all three units (router, NASbox and computer) and everything was fine.but then after a while (hours, not days) everything was slow again.  I have found out that I only have to reboot my router to return the speeds to normal, so I expect that it must be a setting in my router (especially since I never had this problem with my old router).

Any idea of what I should be looking around in the settings for?

I would exchange the router for a new one. There shouldn't be any setting that will throttle performance like that after a few hours. Sounds like it's probably overheating or something. Get it exchanged under warranty is my suggestion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got it fixed.  It was a matter of the Network adapter reverting to 100 mbit rather than gigbit.  To solve this I forced it through the dropdown menu in the device.

Device manager--> right click the network adapter--> "properties" from the drop down menu--> "Advanced" tab --> scroll down to "speed and duplex" --> then a drop down menu for the value is to be set to "1.0 gbps Full Duplex'.

I didn't even have to reboot any of the hardware.

I also disabled the "energy efficient Ethernet" in the same menu.

force 1 gig.jpg

• 8 months later...

UPDATE 2:

needed a new shielded Ethernet cable.  It defaulted to gigabit the moment i plugged it in.