SOLVED: PC won't sleep on time

Video Beagle

My PC won't go to sleep. I've tried reading to it, giving it warm milk....nothing.

The settings seem right...I've googled and pretty sure everything is good.

It WILL go to sleep if I use the SLEEP command in the shutdown menu, and it stays asleep, so it doesn't seem to be something physical preventing it (like mouse vibrations or network....I turned off the mouse's ability to wake the PC).

Can anyone suggest where I look next?

Screenshot 2019-05-31 10.15.37.png

Screenshot 2019-05-31 10.14.29.png

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Better of without it, i had to format it, it wouldn't wake up, 2~3 years ago.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

While I appreciate the opinion on the benefits of sleep, it doesn't address the issue that my computer is not working as it should, and that I'd like to solve that.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

do you have any programs open? sometimes my pc wont sleep if i had some video playing in VLC, video ends, VLC is still open, PC wont sleep. sometimes happens with chrome with youtube open.

OR

do you have any 3rd party power management software running? some laptops like lenovo come with that lenovo power manager or whatever. those shit programs usually overwrite the windows power options settings

in power option, switch what the power button do to sleep, then apply and press it, if nothing goes in the way , it shall sleep.

if not it shall wake up very soon to login screen

4 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

do you have any programs open? sometimes my pc wont sleep if i had some video playing in VLC, video ends, VLC is still open, PC wont sleep. sometimes happens with chrome with youtube open.

With programs and without runnning.

4 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

do you have any 3rd party power management software running? some laptops like lenovo come with that lenovo power manager or whatever. those shit programs usually overwrite the windows power options settings

hmm.. THAT I don't know.

Looking thru Task Manager, I don't see anything that leaps out.. MSI X Boost maybe...but it has no sleep options in it.

4 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

in power option, switch what the power button do to sleep, then apply and press it, if nothing goes in the way , it shall sleep.

if not it shall wake up very soon to login screen

IT sleeps fine if I manually put it to sleep, it'll stay asleep... it just won't go to sleep.

I mean, I mainly just want the monitor to go to sleep, but even that's denied me.

sounds like either a software issue or something else is blocking it from going to sleep. check your lan or wifi adapters, mouse, keyboard settings to check if they're enabled to allow the device to wake the PC up. you could check your bios and disable wake on lan but for KB and mouse you gotta do it from within windows. still curious about a 3rd party software though. if all else fails, possibly its a windows issue. try running windows updates and check your mobo's site for any updates that my relate to this issue.

49 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

sounds like either a software issue or something else is blocking it from going to sleep. check your lan or wifi adapters, mouse, keyboard settings to check if they're enabled to allow the device to wake the PC up. you could check your bios and disable wake on lan but for KB and mouse you gotta do it from within windows. still curious about a 3rd party software though. if all else fails, possibly its a windows issue. try running windows updates and check your mobo's site for any updates that my relate to this issue.

HAve to try in the morning.

I know wake with mouse is turned off---I saw that as a potential issue in googling.

Wake from LAN is on, for sure...but I'll turn it off to do some checking.

I mean, there's a lot of NVIDIA and MSI stuff in there that I have no idea what they do, that came with the system, so who knows :/

I've turned off wake on LAN... no change.

I activated the Screen Saver, set it to start after 1 minute.

It doesn't activate. so this might be the area to focus on for now, cuz I suspect it's whatever timer mechanism that's the problem.

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I've turned off wake on LAN... no change.

I activated the Screen Saver, set it to start after 1 minute.

It doesn't activate. so this might be the area to focus on for now, cuz I suspect it's whatever timer mechanism that's the problem.

forgot to mention, did you change settings in the "advanced power settings" as well? if you changed the "turn off the display" and "put the computer to sleep" only, somehow in the advanced options, the HDD settings might not change as far as ive noticed. there are alot more options under the advanced settings, look through those, you might have missed something.

try this https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-wont-sleep

Thanks...that's the page I saw before that I turned off the mouse after... guess I'll try unplugging various things, see if it's a hardware problem.

5 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

Ok, a comment on this page said that their mouse was constantly scanning, and was their problem, so I figured I'd unplug my mouse, but before I got there, I found a RF dongle for a game pad plugged in. (not a game pad I'm currently using).

Unplugged that, and 60 seconds later, screen saver.  60 seconds later, monitor sleep.

The Culprit:

IMG_3029.thumb.JPG.9c36aafc638f02af6329d66b610f0dba.JPG

Thanks for the help @vaiwalker!