Surface Book Vs Surface Pro 5

Hi,

Im looking for a good college laptop that will last me through my undergrad (in psychology so not looking for something super spec'd) and I already have a gaming sff system too for gaming and more demanding projects should that be needed. Basically just need something for note taking and I love the surface pen / one note integration so that's why I'm looking within the surface family. 

Here are my options:

$550 USD

Surface Pro 5

i5 7300U

8GB Ram

128GB SSD

with Type Cover

(Will also need to buy a surface pen on top of this for about $50)

$630 USD

Surface Book 1

i5 6300U

8GB Ram

512GB SSD

with Surface Pen & Keyboard

Which would you go with? I like the lightness and Alcantara of the Surface Pro (but understand it's a subpar keyboard experience and the alcantara is easily damaged) and like the ports and better keyboard of the surface book but it's a heavier device and the gap when closed annoys me more than it should.

Which should I go for? I don't need it until December (thanks southern hemisphere academic year) so should I wait a few more months?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I love Windows tablets way more than I should, so I would get the Surface Pro. It's cheaper with a better CPU, and a tablet is very nice for drawing on.

EDIT: I didn't read carefully and thought the second option was the Surface Laptop, not Book. If that's the case, I'd still probably go for the Surface Pro, but only because it's cheaper. I think the Book is sexy as fuck but that's just my opinion.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

it's a subpar keyboard experience

I would say there on par. On my Surface 4 at least the Keyboard is fantastic

My life

Surface Book. The massive storage difference along with that fact that the keyboard is included is a massive bonus. I wouldn't get either of them personally, but if you are set on piking between the two, I would get that one. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Surface Book. The massive storage difference along with that fact that the keyboard is included is a massive bonus. I wouldn't get either of them personally, but if you are set on piking between the two, I would get that one. 

Keyboard included on both but if you add the extra $50 or so for the pen with the Pro 5 it brings it up to 600 vs 630 

39 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would say there on par. On my Surface 4 at least the Keyboard is fantastic

I had a pro 3 and pro 4 (sold both already) and the pro 4 keyboard is definitely better but I found the material to not be the most resiliant. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.