2700x with a 2060 good combo?

Hey, So i'm currently looking at a 2700x and combine that with a RTX 2060, as I personally don't see the point of 2070 when it's £150 more for a very little extra performance to an oc 2060. Would this be a good idea? This is the build I have priced up.

2 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Hey, So i'm currently looking at a 2700x and combine that with a RTX 2060, as I personally don't see the point of 2070 when it's £150 more for a very little extra performance to an oc 2060. Would this be a good idea? 

Short answer: yes
Long answer depends on what you're using your computer for?

2 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Hey, So i'm currently looking at a 2700x and combine that with a RTX 2060, as I personally don't see the point of 2070 when it's £150 more for a very little extra performance to an oc 2060. Would this be a good idea? 

If you don't plan on playing at Ultra it's fine. Personally i would downgrade the 2700x to the 2600x and put the same money toward the RTX 2070. more fps / $

4 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

Short answer: yes
Long answer depends on what you're using your computer for?

Mainly games, I want something that will last a while that allows for headroom so I don't have to make a  complete platform change when I want to upgrade the GPU in the future. Primary pushing 1080p with the possibility of pushing 1440p down the line. 

Vega 56 is cheaper and you get a far better cooler design for the price. You lose like 5-10% performance, but you gain 2gb vram which is useful for future games (We are already at 4-5gb vram at 1080p now, so 6gb won't last too long).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3Nx2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hdoc

And since you want 1440p you're gonna want that extra 2gb vram. Also consider vega 64 if you want another 15-20% more performance and have the money for it. It outperforms the 2060 and comes close to the 2070:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MssmP6/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-8gb-nitro-video-card-11275-03-40g

1 minute ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Mainly games, I want something that will last a while that allows for headroom to allow gpu upgrades in the future. Primary pushing 1080p with the possibility of pushing 1440p down the line. 

I have a 2700X with a GTX 1080, which is about the same performance as the 2060, and the GTX 1080 is at 100% usage for most games I throw at it.

5 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Mainly games, I want something that will last a while that allows for headroom so I don't have to make a  complete platform change when I want to upgrade the GPU in the future. Primary pushing 1080p with the possibility of pushing 1440p down the line. 

If it's just for games, then intel would be better. But the 2700x will have a better upgrade path. Either way is fine. If you can hold out for ryzen 3000, coming in a few months, I'd do that.

6 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

If it's just for games, then intel would be better. But the 2700x will have a better upgrade path. Either way is fine. If you can hold out for ryzen 3000, coming in a few months, I'd do that.

Yup, the problem is a 9700k is around £150ish more, so I could buy that or a 2070. I would wait out but the 3000 series will have the more expensive x570 at launch and the B550 boards in September. 

This is an absolutely terrible time to be CPU shopping with few exceptions. Between the new 9th gen Intel chips they just announced and the looming Zen 2 launch nobody who's livelihood doesn't depend on it should be buying a CPU right now. $80 R5 1600 with an eye to upgrade to zen 2 down the road might be the one other exception. Expect steep discounts on Ryzen 2000 in the coming months. Ryzen 3000 is set for release in July most likely. We should have a pretty good idea of how they perform at computex. Hopefully we will get full specs and pricing along with some more performance demonstrations by the end of May.  

You'll get more performance out a 2700 and aftermarket cooler for the same price as the 2700x w the stock cooler if you are willing to tweak. Overclocking is super easy on ryzen. I'd say the 2060 is a great match for a 2700. Just make sure you get a suitable motherboard  if overclocking. MSI B450 is king of the hill in terms of value. B 450 tomahawk or the ITX board are solid buys along with a few others. If running 1440p an R5 1600 would do just as well since you'll be GPU bound in nearly any modern title.  This could possibly open up a GPU upgrades depending on pricing in your region. Skip the 2070 and pick up a used 1080ti if you go this route. 

Just now, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Yup, the problem is a 9700k is around £150ish more. I would wait out but the 3000 series will have the more expensive x570 at launch and the B550 boards in September. 

ryzen 3000s are compatible with current X470/B450 boards. It may have a more expensive launch. You may be able to buy from a cheaper price bracket for the same performance as the 2700x, but if that's not the case, then at least I would expect the price of the 2700x to drop by a bit. If you don't want to wait, then go ahead with the 2700x.

10 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Yup, the problem is a 9700k is around £150ish more, so I could buy that or a 2070. I would wait out but the 3000 series will have the more expensive x570 at launch and the B550 boards in September. 

Who cares about the boards. I doubt they'll make much difference in real world performance. Unless there is some significant must have feature they offer (that 400 series boards with Bios updates don't have) the older boards will work fine. I don't really see any reason to think they'll be any more expensive than what the 400 boards cost now regardless. 

While I knew this, it's more of waiting to see if the boards have a BIOS updates shipped out with them. As I don't have any current Ryzen CPU's to hand, to perform the update myself. 

4 minutes ago, Rigg said:

Who cares about the boards. I doubt they'll make much difference in real world performance. Unless there is some significant must have feature they offer (that 400 series boards with Bios updates don't) the older boards will work fine. I don't really see any reason to think they'll be any more expensive than what the 400 boards cost now regardless. 

1 minute ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

While I knew this, it's more of waiting to see if the boards have a BIOS updates shipped out with them. As I don't have any current Ryzen CPU's to hand, to perform the update myself. 

AMD sent out cheap loner APU's for free during the 300-400 transition if people needed them. In fact they might still do that. Some boards have bios flash button and don't require a CPU to update. My CH6 hero has that feature. 

What resolution are you planning on using? 

Just now, Rigg said:

What resolution are you planning on using? 

Currently 1080p 60hrz, but might be going to 1440p or 1080 144hrz. 

Just now, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Currently 1080p 60hrz, but might be going to 1440p or 1080 144hrz. 

You'll definitely want to upgrade that monitor. This should not be a maybe or you are wasting a ton of money. You should decide what resolution and frame rate goal you have in mind before ever contemplating a system build. The resolution and framerate in relation to the type of games you play severely impacts hardware decisions if your goal is to get maximum value from your system. 

15 minutes ago, Rigg said:

You'll definitely want to upgrade that monitor. This should not be a maybe or you are wasting a ton of money. You should decide what resolution and frame rate goal you have in mind before ever contemplating a system build. The resolution and framerate in relation to the type of games you play severely impacts hardware decisions if your goal is to get maximum value from your system. 

I really more care more about the longevity of the system. I've had this current system for 7 years and it really is due for an upgrade, (FX series has not aged well)  the monitor will come later. It will most likely be 1440p, but 1080p till then. It's just a little annoying that I can't really play the new yakuza or mordhau till then. 

Will you be doing incremental upgrades? Or do want the entire system as built on day one to last 7 years?

4 minutes ago, Rigg said:

Will you be doing incremental upgrades? Or do want the entire system as built on day one to last 7 years?

Incremental upgrades, really just changing the GPU and adding storage etc. Reusing my current Enthoo pro and Noctua Cooler as I see no reason to change them, at this moment in time. 

What are the prices of the 1600, 2600, 1700, and 2700 in the UK? 

1 minute ago, Rigg said:

What are the prices of the 1600, 2600, 1700, and 2700 in the UK? 

2700: £198.99

2600: £135.97

1700:£129.59

1600:£119.55

1 minute ago, Rigg said:

Current GPU?

radeon 7870

Hmmmm. You're in a tough spot. It sounds like you need an upgrade ASAP. The 1700 is the best value buy of that bunch IMO but will probably get even cheaper in as little as a month from now. Would you be okay to wait at least until then if not until July? 

I think your best bet is to buy really good parts all around save for the GPU and CPU right now with the goal of upgrading CPU/GPU/monitor in 6 months to a year. I'd suggest the cheapest used RX 570/480/580 8gb card you can find paired with the cheapest used ryzen CPU you can find now. My local classifieds are littered with stuff like that. That should cover anything at 1080p60 for now. Then do an incremental upgrade of the GPU, CPU, and Monitor later this year when Ryzen 3000 is widely available and possibly slightly discounted during the holiday sales. At that point you could reassess your resolution and frame rate goals with the GPU's that are available at that point. Navi is around the corner as well. 

Yeah,  it's a little annoying when you have the cash to spend but you have to wait for the upgrade to happen. Which is why it's so tempting to pull the trigger right now and buy both the parts. In terms of saving up, the thing is I have more than enough but I don't particularly want to spend more than £1150, as I have other things I want to buy.