G-sync compatible?

maxwell1

I know there's a master thread on this topic but I just want to be sure. I'm looking to buy a laptop for college and spending around 2-3K. I've narrowed it down to the Razer Blade 15, ASUS Zephyrus , MSI gs75, and Gigabyte aero 15. It seems to be a trend that the higher-end submodels for each of these laptops lack displayports and displayport mini's, but have USB type-c ports that support display port 1.4. My question is would connecting my g-sync monitor (via displayport to type-c adapter) to one of these ports still allow the monitor to utilize g-sync?

Yes, as long as the USB-C port's DisplayPort lanes are wired from the NVIDIA GPU and not from the Intel integrated graphics. That information would be a question for the manufacturer, or you can test it by connecting a display to the USB-C port and seeing whether the NVIDIA control panel provides a full suite of options or just a very limited selection (which indicates display output is coming from the integrated graphics.

• 11 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, Glenwing said:

Yes, as long as the USB-C port's DisplayPort lanes are wired from the NVIDIA GPU and not from the Intel integrated graphics. That information would be a question for the manufacturer, or you can test it by connecting a display to the USB-C port and seeing whether the NVIDIA control panel provides a full suite of options or just a very limited selection (which indicates display output is coming from the integrated graphics.

I believe that I can't use 2560x1440 + 144hz + g-sync on my external monitor because my notebook port is USB 3.1 Gen. 2 Type-C with bandwidth up to 10 Gbps or am I wrong?

My monitor is the dell s2716dg and I use the display port cable to connect to the Dell DA300 adapter to connect to the Type-C port on the Asus ROG Zephyrus G GA502.

I currently have this connection at 2560x1440 + 120Hz. I would love to use g-sync for that would have to have a Thunderbolt 3 port with 40 Gbps?