Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeaconFrost

Might switch to FreeNAS - Hardware Question

Posted · Original PosterOP

I think I know the answer to this question already (thinking yes), but here goes.  I'm thinking of doing away with my traditional NAS and building a FreeNAS box.  I have most of the parts already, but I'm stuck on the RAID card.  The motherboard I was planning to use only has a PCI-E x16 slot and an x1 slot.  Since I won't need a graphics card, would the PCI-E x4 card run okay in the x16 slot?

For reference, I have a few IBM M1015s saved in eBay.  That seems to be a popular card.  I already have a LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be compatible or ideal?

A hba should work fine in the 16x slot on the board.

What drives are you using? Since you already have a raid card, id just use hardware raid on that card and get a basic linux os to share it on the network.

You can also just use the ports on the motherboard if you don't need a lot of drives.

I have 4x4TB of Seagate drives.  Drawing a blank as to their model, but they are currently running in a RAID5 array in a Synology NAS.

Just now, DeaconFrost said:

I have 4x4TB of Seagate drives.  Drawing a blank as to their model, but they are currently running in a RAID5 array in a Synology NAS.

How many ports does your otherboared have? Id just use the motherboard sata connectors.

I believe it has 4 or 6.  I have to dig up the specs.  Would I still be able to take advantage of ZFS?

It's an Intel DH61BE board, with a total of 6 ports.  Thanks for the info!  Looks like I'm good to go.