Might switch to FreeNAS - Hardware Question

I think I know the answer to this question already (thinking yes), but here goes.  I'm thinking of doing away with my traditional NAS and building a FreeNAS box.  I have most of the parts already, but I'm stuck on the RAID card.  The motherboard I was planning to use only has a PCI-E x16 slot and an x1 slot.  Since I won't need a graphics card, would the PCI-E x4 card run okay in the x16 slot?

For reference, I have a few IBM M1015s saved in eBay.  That seems to be a popular card.  I already have a LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be compatible or ideal?

A hba should work fine in the 16x slot on the board.

What drives are you using? Since you already have a raid card, id just use hardware raid on that card and get a basic linux os to share it on the network.

You can also just use the ports on the motherboard if you don't need a lot of drives.

I have 4x4TB of Seagate drives.  Drawing a blank as to their model, but they are currently running in a RAID5 array in a Synology NAS.

Just now, DeaconFrost said:

I have 4x4TB of Seagate drives.  Drawing a blank as to their model, but they are currently running in a RAID5 array in a Synology NAS.

How many ports does your otherboared have? Id just use the motherboard sata connectors.

I believe it has 4 or 6.  I have to dig up the specs.  Would I still be able to take advantage of ZFS?

Just now, DeaconFrost said:

I believe it has 4 or 6.  I have to dig up the specs.  Would I still be able to take advantage of ZFS?

yep zfs doesn't care what the connector is, id just use the sata on the board then.

It's an Intel DH61BE board, with a total of 6 ports.  Thanks for the info!  Looks like I'm good to go.