Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterLow

is more GPU's better than 1 GPU for multi monitors?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people would argue one powerful GPU is enough.  I have never run an SLI or CF setup, so YMMV.


Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

Doesn't matter for performance if it's 1 GPU or 2

 

But why not just use an ultra wide? Or 40" 4k display?


I edit my posts a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MasterLow said:

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

No rig that can game on three monitors at a time is going to a "budget" build. What were you expecting to spend, and what resolution and refresh rate will the monitors be?


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried dual GPU setups and honestly its kind of a waste of money. The ram on each extra GPU goes unused, you only get maybe 40-70% performance out of each extra one depending on the game, and most games just flat out don't support them. I suppose if you've got an extra few grand to burn then why not, but I think your better off spending more on the best damn water cooled gpu you can buy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the GPU isn't rendering a 3d scene, it's not being pushed. YouTube and web browsing aren't going to be lowering your fps.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Hmm I didn't think about that, it depends i could do that but if buying 3 monitors is cheaper than a ultrawide ill go with the monitors cause it is a sorta budget build

Link to post
Share on other sites

1st off, "budget" doesnt really go along with "Triple monitor", so if you want to do that kinda stuff, look to be spending a lot of money for that. Also, playing games, browsing the web, and gaming at the same time is gonna take a lot of computer, 2 grand probly. Yes, SLI or crossfire would help improve performance, but not specifically for 2+ monitors, just cause its more power. 1 really good GPU might be a better option, maybe a 2080 ti or Titan, but theres gonna be alot of load on your CPU and memory, so thats important too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

not budget but the build in my signature is what i use with the asus monitor in portrait mode for things like discord, my samsung 4k in the middle for what i'm doing  and the LG 4k tv for media, usually youtube, netflix or blurays.  even when i was using my old 970, or 66ti i never had a problem doing 3 monitors for what you are describing (although it was 1080p monitors back then)

 

Edit: depending on the game and Budget Rig you probably wont be able to do triple monitor gaming


CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k | COOLER: Corsair H100i V2 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-E | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Gaming | RAM: Corsair LPX 1x16GB 3Ghz, Corsair RGB 2x8GB 3Ghz | SSD: 890 Evo (500GB), 850 Pro (256GB), Adata SP900 (120GB) | HDD: WD Green (3TB), WD White (8TB) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define S Window Display #1: Asus VE247H, #2: Samsung UE590, #3: LG 50" UK6090PUA | Keyboard: Logitech Gpro  | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: CAD Audio MH210, Logitech z313, Tv Speakers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

1st off, "budget" doesnt really go along with "Triple monitor", so if you want to do that kinda stuff, look to be spending a lot of money for that. Also, playing games, browsing the web, and gaming at the same time is gonna take a lot of computer, 2 grand probly. Yes, SLI or crossfire would help improve performance, but not specifically for 2+ monitors, just cause its more power. 1 really good GPU might be a better option, maybe a 2080 ti or Titan, but theres gonna be alot of load on your CPU and memory, so thats important too.

1080p monitors are cheaper now days and some of the GPUs are the same so I can definitly find a budget system for around 2k with triple monitors piripherals and the pc ( but it might not run the best) who knows but yea i might just go with the single powerful gpu but 2080ti and titan are like way to expensive

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

1st off, "budget" doesnt really go along with "Triple monitor", so if you want to do that kinda stuff, look to be spending a lot of money for that. Also, playing games, browsing the web, and gaming at the same time is gonna take a lot of computer, 2 grand probly. Yes, SLI or crossfire would help improve performance, but not specifically for 2+ monitors, just cause its more power. 1 really good GPU might be a better option, maybe a 2080 ti or Titan, but theres gonna be alot of load on your CPU and memory, so thats important too.

I don't know if it would take that much computer. I've done that with pretty low end  last gen amd parts before, I never had any issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No rig that can game on three monitors at a time is going to a "budget" build. What were you expecting to spend, and what resolution and refresh rate will the monitors be?

You could just turn down the render scale in any game to like 75% at 1080p or something on an RX 580 type GPU and it'd be mostly fine

 

 

5 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hmm I didn't think about that, it depends i could do that but if buying 3 monitors is cheaper than a ultrawide ill go with the monitors cause it is a sorta budget build

You can get 1440p 21:9 displays for around $350-500 depending on if you buy korean monitors from ebay, which are generally safe


I edit my posts a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You could just turn down the render scale in any game to like 75% at 1080p or something on an RX 580 type GPU and it'd be mostly fine

 

 

You can get 1440p 21:9 displays for around $350-500 depending on if you buy korean monitors from ebay, which are generally safe

 

2 minutes ago, imbrock said:

I don't know if it would take that much computer. I've done that with pretty low end  last gen amd parts before, I never had any issues.

 

3 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

not budget but the build in my signature is what i use with the asus monitor in portrait mode for things like discord, my samsung 4k in the middle for what i'm doing  and the LG 4k tv for media, usually youtube, netflix or blurays.  even when i was using my old 970, or 66ti i never had a problem doing 3 monitors for what you are describing (although it was 1080p monitors back then)

thanks heaps guys Im still pretty new to this type of stuff so im just making sure I get some decent info on this stuff before making an irriversablly expensive mistake

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

 

 

thanks heaps guys Im still pretty new to this type of stuff so im just making sure I get some decent info on this stuff before making an irriversablly expensive mistake

 

Just post your total budget/country for the new PC and monitors


I edit my posts a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×