New PC builder, need help figuring out how to install my fans to my motherboard

NintendoNoNo

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to building PCs (and brand new to this forum) so go easy on me and forgive me for the basic questions I need help with!

1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

2. My motherboard has two headers for CPU power, an 8 pin (CPU_PWR1) and a 4 pin (CPU_PWR2). Do I need to plug the PSU into both of them, or just the CPU_PWR1? I am using a Ryzen 5 2600X with an rx 570 GPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm really sorry for these newbie questions :)

27 minutes ago, NintendoNoNo said:

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to building PCs (and brand new to this forum) so go easy on me and forgive me for the basic questions I need help with!

1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

2. My motherboard has two headers for CPU power, an 8 pin (CPU_PWR1) and a 4 pin (CPU_PWR2). Do I need to plug the PSU into both of them, or just the CPU_PWR1? I am using a Ryzen 5 2600X with an rx 570 GPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm really sorry for these newbie questions :)

Both my friend..  It really doesnt matter if you put it on CPU 4pin or chassis 4pin,, same sh*T so don't stress no worries.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, NintendoNoNo said:

Just the 8 pin connector for CPU will do. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 hours ago, NintendoNoNo said:

Your case uses the 5V RGB standard known as Addressible RGB, or ARGB, which uses a 3 pin connector.

image.png.4bb8c63743ba106a071f38060652e12b.png

Your motherboard uses the 12v Standard RGB which is a 4 pin header. You cannot plug the aRGB plug into the RGB header on your motherboard; thye will not work together. 

Note that these plugs are SEPERATE from the fan header that directly power the fans themselves. The above plugs are ONLY for the lighting of the fans/case.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Note that these plugs are SEPERATE from the fan header that directly power the fans themselves. The above plugs are ONLY for the lighting of the fans/case.

I was talking to some people on the /r/buildapc discord last night and I think we figured something out, although I still want to make sure my motherboard isn't going to be fried when I plug everything in. I joined the conversation right after another guy had asked the exact same question I had and I went through and tried to follow everything they had said in the conversation as it seemed to work for him.

However, I want to make sure I understand it and I'm not going to fry my motherboard when I try to connect it. I think I need to plug the three fans directly into the mobo, into the individual SYS_FANX headers, where the X is just a number. Then, I need to plug the aRGB leads into this one cord that connects all the aRGB to an RGB controller in the front panel. This cord is labeled "MAIN". Finally, I take the molex connector from the RGB controller and plug that directly into the power supply. This way, I'm not plugging in a 5V aRGB connector to my mobo and instead plugging them all in simultaneously directly to the power supply. The RGB will then be controlled by the case itself instead of software the motherboard uses. Does this sound correct? Below is the diagram that the incredibly helpful people on Discord made for me.

wiring diagram.png

1 hour ago, NintendoNoNo said:

However, I want to make sure I understand it and I'm not going to fry my motherboard when I try to connect it.

-snip-

That looks correct to me!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That looks correct to me!

Cool, thanks so much for the help!