Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zFox

M.2 nvme expansion card speeds.

Recommended Posts

PCI-Express 3.0 1GB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 2.0 500MB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 1.0 250MB/s per lane.

Unless your motherboard has a built in M.2 NVMe slot dont bother with an adapter. Boot support for NVMe drives was not added until Ryzen for AMD, and Z97 for Intel, and the first generation chips to support it from Intel were limited to 2.0 2x links

 

If you could physically fit it in a PCI-Express 1.0 1x lane the drive will top out at 250MB/s, much less than a SATA 3 SSD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Snipergod87 said:

PCI-Express 3.0 1GB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 2.0 500MB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 1.0 250MB/s per lane.

Unless your motherboard has a built in M.2 NVMe slot dont bother with an adapter. Boot support for NVMe drives was not added until Ryzen for AMD, and Z97 for Intel, and the first generation chips to support it from Intel were limited to 2.0 2x links

 

If you could physically fit it in a PCI-Express 1.0 1x lane the drive will top out at 250MB/s, much less than a SATA 3 SSD.

What if I put it a Samsung 970 pro with the 3500 reads and 2200 writes in a pcie x16 3.0 slot using that adapter,  I am only going to get 1000 read and write speeds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zFox said:

What if I put it a Samsung 970 pro with the 3500 reads and 2200 writes in a pcie x16 3.0 slot using that adapter,  I am only going to get 1000 read and write speeds?

the drive is x4, so x4 is the most lanes you will ever use.

 

What are you using this drive for? Normally a evo drive is a better bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the drive is x4, so x4 is the most lanes you will ever use.

 

What are you using this drive for? Normally a evo drive is a better bet.

I am just trying to figure out how these cards work for myself and a friend who has a samsung m.2 nvme drive but no nvme slot.

 

Ok so if I use this card expansion in a 16x slot,  and the card is 4x speed,  what speed does 4x reach?  Does it reach 3000mb/s?

Also can I stick this card inside a 16x slot will it fit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

PCI-Express 3.0 1GB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 2.0 500MB/s Per lane

PCI-Express 1.0 250MB/s per lane.

Unless your motherboard has a built in M.2 NVMe slot dont bother with an adapter. Boot support for NVMe drives was not added until Ryzen for AMD, and Z97 for Intel, and the first generation chips to support it from Intel were limited to 2.0 2x links

 

If you could physically fit it in a PCI-Express 1.0 1x lane the drive will top out at 250MB/s, much less than a SATA 3 SSD.

So a pcie x4 3.0 slot will be 4 GB/s per lane,  and a x16 3.0 will be 16 GB/s per lane?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zFox said:

I am just trying to figure out how these cards work for myself and a friend who has a samsung m.2 nvme drive but no nvme slot.

 

Ok so if I use this card expansion in a 16x slot,  and the card is 4x speed,  what speed does 4x reach?  Does it reach 3000mb/s?

Also can I stick this card inside a 16x slot will it fit?

what board doers your friend have? What drive? Normally if you board doesn't have a m.2 port, Id just get a sata ssd.

 

12 hours ago, zFox said:

So a pcie x4 3.0 slot will be 4 GB/s per lane,  and a x16 3.0 will be 16 GB/s per lane?

its 1gB/s per lane for pcie 3.0, times the number of lanes, so x16 is 16gB/s

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×