Problem with installing nvidia drivers for ASUS GTX 1080 - black screen, 100% fan

Kasger

Hey, so I recently bought a used ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo. It worked perfectly in the previous owners PC.
After 5 hours trying to get this to work in mine and scouting a million other threads, I am out of ideas :(

Specs:
Intel i7 4790
32GB DDR3
Corsair CX600M

MSI B85M-E54
Old GPU: Gainward GTX 970

I initially had problems with getting my mobo to detect the card at all. This is what I had to do to get it working:
1. Boot pc with no GPU (using the iGPU)
2. Shut down PC and clear CMOS by removing the battery for 10 mins
3. Reseat the GPU and boot
Success! My monitor now gets the signal from the GPU.

So here are the steps I used to install the new drivers:

1. Disable all internet access (since the first few times I tried Windows would download faulty drivers...)
2. Reboot in safe mode (using the iGPU)

3. Uninstall drivers with DDU

4. Reboot

5. Install nvidia driver

The problem:

At step 5, either during the installation or at the last step after the installation (when I click "Done"), the monitor goes black and my GPU fans ramp up to 100%.
The only way to exit this is to force shutdown.
After this the mobo no longer detects the GPU (and boots with the iGPU), and I have to repeat the steps listed at the start of the thread to get it working again.

Then after that I would repeat the next steps with DDU and try again with another driver. So far I've tried 5 different driver versions, all with the same result.

I've read a bunch of threads and some solutions include new PSU or reapplying termal paste to the GPU. Do you think that would solve the problem? And in that case which PSU would be a good fit?
I can still run my GTX 970 with no problems at all.

Any help or tips are highly appreciated!

Music Producer/DJ
Website • Soundcloud • Facebook • Instagram • Twitch

Try flashing the BIOS of the card in your friends machine that it worked in. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Try flashing the BIOS of the card in your friends machine that it worked in. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately its not a friend, I just bought it from a guy I found online, but I made sure it worked before I got it.
I guess I could reach out to him, but I'm not sure if he would be willing to help out.

Do you think its a problem with the BIOS?

Music Producer/DJ

8 minutes ago, Kasger said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately its not a friend, I just bought it from a guy I found online, but I made sure it worked before I got it.
I guess I could reach out to him, but I'm not sure if he would be willing to help out.

Do you think its a problem with the BIOS?

if you know 10000000000% sure it legit worked in his system and hes not pulling a fast one on you.. then it could potentially be one yes. Though this reminds me of a video Jayztwocents did last year where he had 2 Titan XP's same BIOS, everything, same motherboards.. but one would boot and post in one board, but not the other and the 2nd card worked just fine in both systems and he never did ever figure out the cause or reason. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if you know 10000000000% sure it legit worked in his system and hes not pulling a fast one on you.. then it could potentially be one yes. Though this reminds me of a video Jayztwocents did last year where he had 2 Titan XP's same BIOS, everything, same motherboards.. but one would boot and post in one board, but not the other and the 2nd card worked just fine in both systems and he never did ever figure out the cause or reason. 

I saw it running fine in his computer before I took it home, so the GPU should be working fine.
From all the research I've done today, I keep ending up at people saying its a PSU related issue. Either with their cables or the PSU itself. However, I think the CX600M should be able to run it...

But yeah, BIOS not detecting the card unless I do a bunch of steps seems weird.
I have not tried to update my BIOS yet, and I'm not sure if that would help anything.

Music Producer/DJ

Update:
Decided to try one more go, and checked the PSU cables. Basically took em out and replugged them.
Booted the computer to check some BIOS settings, but couldn't really find anything useful.

Afterwards, the computer booted on the 1080!

I got to the desktop, and everything seemed to work. It also seemed like it had actually installed the right nvidia driver.
I started to run The Valley, just to test if this was real, and here's a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/Jc8loV2.jpg

About 2-4 minutes into the test, I got the dreaded 'black screen and 100% fan ramp' again :(
After rebooting I was back on the iGPU, and no sight of the GPU anywhere in BIOS or device manager.

After fiddling around an rebooting 2-3 more times, it magically booted on the 1080 again. I ran The Valley again with the exact same results.
Currently trying to figure out what triggers the 1080 to work on boot, but so far it seems a bit random...

Music Producer/DJ

Update:
I went out and got a new PSU, the Corsair RM750x.

I also reapplied new thermal paste to the GPU, as I read somewhere that it fixed the black screen issue for someone.

Managed to randomly boot on the GPU again, and everything seemed well.
I was able to run The Valley test for longer this time, maybe 5+ minutes and the temp of the GPU got up to around 70C.
Was about to think that I had finally solved the issue, when suddenly *boom*, black screen, fan ramp to 100%.
Now it boots back up on the iGPU :/

I'm pretty exhausted from deaing with this GPU and pretty much out of ideas at this point.
I checked my BIOS, and it seemes like it's already running the latest version.

Are there any more things I should try, or should I just try to return the GPU?

Music Producer/DJ

Check the contact pins at the bottom of the card and make sure that none of the contact pins have damage.

just a thought.

If you have another pc you could test it on, that would confirm that the card is the problem. Maybe a friend's system or something?

1 minute ago, Ironwhale2009 said:

Check the contact pins at the bottom of the card and make sure that none of the contact pins have damage.

just a thought.

The PCI or power ones?

Music Producer/DJ

Just now, lloose said:

If you have another pc you could test it on, that would confirm that the card is the problem. Maybe a friend's system or something?

Maybe yeah, but as stated I already testet it in the sellers system before buying it.

Music Producer/DJ

pci pins, can't hurt to check both tbh. i recommend taking some snaps with flash on.

1 minute ago, Kasger said:

Maybe yeah, but as stated I already testet it in the sellers system before buying it.

I wouldn't invest much trust in that at all. I guess you could install Heaven on his PC and test. See if you can make it through the benchmark.

3 minutes ago, lloose said:

I wouldn't invest much trust in that at all. I guess you could install Heaven on his PC and test. See if you can make it through the benchmark.

Yeah true. He has been running with the card for 6 months without problems, at least from what he tells me. I'm in contact with him now, and he seems genuine. He said he would take it back if I can't get it working. 

Music Producer/DJ

9 minutes ago, Ironwhale2009 said:

pci pins, can't hurt to check both tbh. i recommend taking some snaps with flash on.

Nothings seems to be damaged.
Took pictures of PCI contacts and power pins, all are here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/etk3Hg96Hp7nS5ET7

Music Producer/DJ