Home LAN design

jtomasrl

I'm really new into this network stuff and wanted to know any benefit on separating home devices into different VLAN. I have an 8 port switch and an AP attached into it.

Switch will handle

- 1,2 AP

- 1 NAS/Multimedia server (through link aggregation)

- 1 Smart TV

- 1 Console

- 1 Desktop PC

AP will handle

- 2 notebooks

- 2 smartphones

- guests devices

Guests network will be separate SSID, so my question is, is it worth it having separate VLANs? and what would be the benefits of it. For example:

VLAN1: Modem-TV-NAS (Multimedia server just for the TV)

VLAN2: Notebooks-NAS-Desktop PC

VLAN3: Modem-Console

Long explanation:

I want the TV to connect to both internet and the NAS

Console to connect just to internet

Mobile devices to connect between each other and to the NAS

Notebooks to connect to the Desktop PC

Desktop PC to connect to the NAS

Thanks

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

Hi There,

Just get yourself a managed level 2 switch and your good to do what you want. Although most routers, even the ones that ISPs give you, have the ability to give separate Wifi SSIDS. Or you could get your self a level 3 switch, and you can do everything from it.

I hope this helps.

The primary benefits are Access control, Security, and smaller broadcast domains. To do this though you'll require a managed switch that supports VLANs & a router that supports sub-interfaces or VLANs. I believe I have heard of some consumer routers supporting VLANs but I'm not familiar with many that do so. Even when they do they're very feature limited. Your best option here would be to look in the pro-sumer market like Ubiquiti or hop on eBay and search for retired network gear.

9 minutes ago, Protocol37 said:

Hi There,

Just get yourself a managed level 2 switch and your good to do what you want. Although most routers, even the ones that ISPs give you, have the ability to give separate Wifi SSIDS. Or you could get your self a level 3 switch, and you can do everything from it.

I hope this helps.

So far I have a TP-LINK SG2008 switch and an Ubiquiti Unifi AC access point and planning on getting an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, that should do the work, although I'm not sure if the Edgerouter is really necessary.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The primary benefits are Access control, Security, and smaller broadcast domains. To do this though you'll require a managed switch that supports VLANs & a router that supports sub-interfaces or VLANs. I believe I have heard of some consumer routers supporting VLANs but I'm not familiar with many that do so. Even when they do they're very feature limited. Your best option here would be to look in the pro-sumer market like Ubiquiti or hop on eBay and search for retired network gear.

Regarding access control and security, is my example a correct usage of VLANs?

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

38 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

Regarding access control and security, is my example a correct usage of VLANs?

For a home operation if you have special reasons for wanting to segregate these devices then yes.

More common examples for a home might be if you had, let's say a home office, WiFi, & the rest of the home (PCs, consoles, Laptops, etc.) and you wanted to segregate them into groups:

VLAN1: Home Network

VLAN2: WiFi Network

VLAN3: Office Network

This would be a good example of VLANs used at home.