My laptop keyboard doesn't work

almoyou90

Hello linustechtips community,

I got a problem with my laptop keyboard and I need a solution to fix it.

After I have shut down my laptop at night the next day when I turn it on the keyboard was not working and the keyboard back light doesn't turn on also, firstly I thought this was a hardware problem but when I open up my laptop to check nothing was abnormal. So I go to device manager to check and then I realize that no keyboard driver was installed as you can see in the picture below, I search on internet for a solution to this problem but every one failed and I couldn't find the missing drivers and a way to install them on internet, in my research I found that the missing driver is called "standard ps/2 keyboard". 

Please if you have any solution share it with I will be grateful and if you need any complementary information, just tell me.

This is my laptop Asus FX503VM

Thank you.image.png

Are you able to access the bios at all by pressing the key during boot? (F2, F8, Del, F12, whichever key)

Because if it doesn't work in BIOS, it ain't gonna be working in Windows regardless of whether you have the driver or not. A driver doesn't just disappear by itself overnight after all.

Also, your screen doesn't show that you're missing the keyboard driver. This is what you'd be seeing if you were:

DoRwAkX.jpg

According to your screen, you don't have a keyboard, at all.

I'd suggest opening the laptop and try to unplug and plug back the ribbon cable of the keyboard. (be VERY careful, the tab holding the ribbon cable is made to be lifted, not pulled, it's also fragile)

Was there ever liquid spilled on the keyboard? Liquid damage can and will kill a keyboard, even if it isn't immediately, it can happen after a while due to corrosion forming in places you don't see.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Thank you @TetraSky for your advice,

Now I'm sure that it is a hardware problem due to your remark, nevertheless I think I don't have the necessary skill to make that delicate handling, so I will go to find a right person to do something like that in my city with some experience and I hope it will work.

I'll give feedback of it when it will be done

Thank you a lot for the advice