Dead board or BIOS update needed.

I bought a second hand Z77 board which I will be trying out.

The guy said it ran a 2600k and i have a working 3350P.

If the system doesnt post, is there a way for me to see wether its the bios or if its just dead (besides trying to update the bios tho).

Hope I am somewhat making sense with my words :)

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

3350P is a newer Ivy Bridge chip, it may require a BIOS update.

It also lacks integrated graphics, so you will need a dedicated graphic card if you want to access the BIOS and system.

If you want to diagnose the board, you can either install a diagnostic card to see the error code or attach an internal speaker to the header and listen for beep codes.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, BelgianNoise said:

I bought a second hand Z77 board which I will be trying out.

The guy said it ran a 2600k and i have a working 3350P.

If the system doesnt post, is there a way for me to see wether its the bios or if its just dead (besides trying to update the bios tho).

Hope I am somewhat making sense with my words :)

It's very important to know which board that is and a detailed describtion of what actually happens. For example Gigabyte uses an automatic Dual Bios and it restores the bios automatically when the main bios is corrupted, or it thinks it's corrupted or when the wind blows from the wrong direction, or the stars are in a certain constallation or at a full moon or whenever the heck it feels like it.

And during the restauration process you usually don't get a monitor signal (only fans spinning) and you won't get any indication about what's happening. So the board might appear dead, but in reality you just have to give it like 30 minutes or so and it'll fix itself. Well, if that's your issue anyhow.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

2 hours ago, Hans Power said:

4 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

I dont have the board yet.

But incompatible bios version should also give me a beep boop code ? If so, thats epic, i didnt know.

I know more recent intel board allow you to flash bios without cpu installed. Would this be the case for this one?

Its a msi z77. I dont have more info, it was only 5€ so i didnt bother asking.

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!