Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flawizz

Router and Modem

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Guys, what does a router do that a modem can't do
also i have a Linus school nearby :D

qsdfqsdfqsdfqsdf.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

A modem turns the signal from the isp(dsl, coax, satellite, fiber) into a rj45 or sfp connection to connect to your network. The ISP uses different cables and standards than your house as they have different requirements. It also has the id so the isp can assign your usage to use and give you the correct IPs.

 

A router can do many things, but normally does nat, so multiple devices can use one IP address, has a firewall, so only certian connections are allowed, and potientally other features like wireless, web filtering, web caching, packet inspection

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flawizz said:

but i can do all of these things with my modem?

No, a modem by its self will normally only let one computer to work at a time.

 

What modem do you have? You need both. There are combo units though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No, a modem by its self will normally only let one computer to work at a time.

 

What modem do you have? You need both. There are combo units though.

idk, its just the one i got from my isp when i signed the contract, never had the need of buying routers

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flawizz said:

idk, its just the one i got from my isp when i signed the contract, never had the need of buying routers

then its probably a router and modem combo and will do all that you need. You can buy a better router for better wifi and more features, but you probably don't need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

then its probably a router and modem combo and will do all that you need. You can buy a better router for better wifi and more features, but you probably don't need it.

i currently have a router unopened, im using cable for my pc anyway, i was just gonna see what it does more than my modem

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×